Mountainking Megalith? Dwarfcraft Eau Claire Thunder? Doom fuzz.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Venom of God, Nov 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
    Hey guys, I've had a Pickle Pie B the last five or so years which was my first and only fuzz. It was flavour of the month on here when I got it, which was why I did, but it has served me well and I will be keeping it. I've been playing in a heavy/stoner doom band the last six or so months though and that band is starting to get more serious, and I would like a heavier sounding fuzz for it. I was thinking either the Mountainking Megalith or Dwarfcraft Eau Claire Thunder, but am open to other suggestions. What do you guys think? Two major influences for the band are Orchid and Sleep.

Thanks!

2. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
    I just found another thread pretty much the same as this, but maybe there are some new options out there now anyway. In said thread, this was linked:

Far out! I've never heard these guys before, but that bass tone is ridiculous! Sounds so wet and juicy while still being heavy as. I want that tone!! (EDIT::Actually, is that an octave up effect or something on top of it? Sort of reminds me of how my POG behaves sometimes..)

Just reading, I like the sound of the Eau Claire for the feedback feature. But general tone is more important that making some fun noise in between songs.

JulienP., Jeff O'Connor and opivy3056 like this.
  3. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    The Megalith sucks IMHO. Cool name, a 'more heavy' button and the Cisneros connection made me buy one but I returned it immediately.

I'm a big Elder fan, I can get pretty close to that Spires Burn intro sound with my Team Awesome Fuzz Machine into a B7K.

JulienP. likes this.
  4. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    Says the guy who said the Megalith cuts lows.

I don't know but something in your experience with it doesn't add up. I can only guess but maybe yours was faulty.

I came here to say to @Venom of God, if you like the wide low end of the Pickle Pie B you might enjoy the Megalith, similar expansive lows but different fuzz tone, and very big sounding.

I would also suggest look for a Baby Thundaa over the ECT also since I didn't find the extra foot switches useful for me.

Between the two I would probably grab the Megalith. I would like to revisit the ECT or Baby Thundaa some day with my current gear, but I've still never totally bonded with anything Muff-based.

5. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
    Maybe I should try running my Pickle Pie B through my Agro, since that is ballpark tone to those Darkglass pedals. Usually I have it after the Agro in my chain, but I never have them on at the same time anyway so it doesn't really matter if I move it.

Just looked up the Baby, definitely looks like a much more sensible option! I prefer smaller pedals in general and it doesn't look like it really loses anything. Is the Megalith not muff based? Pretty sure my Pickle Pie B is, so that might make a better contrast on my board. Really though I am just after the biggest fuzz I can find! We're a three piece, so there is a lot of space to fill.

Thanks for the replies so far!

Dark Barn likes this.
  6. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Careful chasing tone from a studio recording.
    Nine times out of ten there are several tracks at play, at least one dirty and one clean.
    Try blending clean tones with your current fuzz, that will allow you to crank the fuzz, and retain your original tone at the same time.

7. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    The PPB and ECT are Muff based, the Megalith is Fuzz Face based.

8. I've always liked the Pharaoh for doom. It retains a lot of definition in a thick mix and still sounds brutal.

MatronMother likes this.
  9. jwr

jwr Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I was pretty sure the Megalith was also muff based @Dark Barn. Where did you here it's fuzz face based? Or find that out? I'm honestly curious.

The Megalith is amazing and it has more low than you can handle. It does not suck. Not even close. It's the loudest, chest thumping fuzz ever IMO.

The Eau Claire Thunder is also amazing and can offer a lot more versatility than the Megalith.

That sound in the clip is very, very compressed sounding to my ears. I'm not quite sure either of these pedals would nail that. It does sound like a muff, but then again, it's really hard to tell.

JulienP., 10cc, BartmanPDX and 2 others like this.
  10. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    I am going off of what Broughton Audio maker @Azure Skies has said about the Megalith. To paraphrase he says Fuzz Face based with a number of inventive changes.

JulienP., gregmon79 and blindrabbit like this.
  11. Azure Skies

Azure Skies Commercial User

Mar 21, 2012
    Toronto
    Businessman and EE Importer/Exporter Broughton Audio
    Yes, absolutely fuzz face based. Not muff based.

JulienP., 10cc, BIG97BEN and 3 others like this.
  12. I've owned an ECT, it was the most massive and threatening fuzz I've ever tried. I literally had to sell it because it terrified the guys in the band I was playing in at the time - it just totally obliterated the mix and took over the room when engaged.

Now, I can't speak directly to the Megalith because I've not tried it myself yet, but I do love me some fuzzfaces, that is for sure - the TAFM is probably my favourite fuzz of all time, or at least in the top three.

Honestly, you probably can't go wrong with either one, and/or it'll just come down to a matter of personal preference.

The Agro is a pretty sweet pedal as well that has a lot of aggressive tones in it, and everyone knows about the massive bottom end of the Pickle. It wouldn't shock me if you were able to coax a good approximation by working something out with those two together.

JulienP., Dark Barn and gregmon79 like this.
  13. To clarify and emphasize, this guy BUILDS (versions of) these pedals, so he knows what he's talking about. It isn't just your typical talking out your backside internet opinion we see so often around here. :)

14. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    The Megalith would be a perfect fuzz for what youre wanting @Venom of God IMO. Its pretty badass. Ive never played the actual one, just a clone. But Ive heard nothing but awesome stuff about it. Same with the ECT.

I would think that a heavy muff would do you good either way IMO. I recently got an Abominable Hail Satan (green russian ver) and it effin slays man. Its pretty amazing what it can do in the mix. Plenty of beef and low end to go round and gain as well. Its really cool with chords too. I love mine. He makes a DLX version too that has a couple different muffs in one box. There is also the Demon Lung he just released. Its based off the BOss FZ2. Heard its awesome. Lone Wolf is making some seriously heavy stuff too but Ive never tried any of Joes stuff. Ive heard good things though. Black Arts Toneworks and Earthbound Audio would both be worth a look into as well. THey make some really cool, bass friendly fuzz pedals that wont break the bank.

BartmanPDX and Dark Barn like this.
  15. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    This sticks in my craw so I'm going to address it again.

I'm pretty sure that you are already aware that your experience does not match up with any Megalith owners anywhere ever (that it cuts lows). If I was in that position, a minority of one, I would seek answers, rather than sermonize.

It's not my favorite fuzz either, but it's very good and has a unique massive flavor I have not found anywhere else. I don't even own one anymore, but I guarantee it does not suck.

16. Ben Buchman

Ben Buchman

Nov 19, 2015
    Towson, MD
    Verellen makes some pedals like the Big Spider that are a decent option if you can't afford a Meatsmoke haha

MatronMother likes this.
  17. IngloriousOz

IngloriousOz Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2006
    SLC, Utah
    Great suggestions here! I wanted to throw a couple more into the ring that I would have loved to have in my Doom playing days: The Heliotropic by Fuzzrocious and the Supercollider by Earthbound Audio

18. Supercollider = Doom Muff Fuzz </thread>

I am not saying its the best fuzz and it might not be for everyone, but for doom/stoner it is right in it's wheelhouse. Simple controls and can be had for $125 on the used market.

doomwarwick and gregmon79 like this.
  19. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    Everyone's allowed to voice their own opinions (that's what they are, opinions, not sermons). You shouldn't get worked up about it if your view is different to mine. After hearing how sucky it was, I rechecked the YouTube demo and thought yeah, it kinds sucks there too. I was just hyped to buy it after getting into the Shrinebuilder album. I felt the same way about the Verellen Big Spider which came out around the same time... both pale in comparison with the TAFM though, which is a keeper for life!

JulienP. and Ben Buchman like this.
  20. Ben Buchman

Ben Buchman

Nov 19, 2015
    Towson, MD
    Oh yeah, the Earthquaker cloven hoof sounds good from the demos I've peep'd. That plus an ampeg sub blaster or other octave pedal, and boom

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021