Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mountain's "The Road Goes Ever On"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dkmonroe, Nov 15, 2002.

1. dkmonroe

dkmonroe

Jul 3, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    For you Felix Pappalardi fans (both of you), what do you think of Mr. P's tone on this album? You know what I mean - that big, fat drone, almost sounds synthesized.

IMO, it's one of the most over-the-top '70's bass sounds I've ever heard. So, is it tacky, or cool?

2. Felix was/is one of my favorites.
    Nantucket Sleigh ride has got to be one of the sweetest rock songs.

Very melodic player.
    I don't know who the other fan is but you have heard from 1.
    :D

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I saw Mountain a bunch of times back in the days, I was a major fan of Felix's tone/songwriting....that band kicked major a$$! I'm still mad his f*&cking bitch wife shot him, and stole a great muscian/producer from us:(

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    It's me. Nantucket Sleigh Ride. Great tune. Theme for an Imaginary Western, Never In My Life. Gritty Leslie West vocals.

5. Felix is one of the reasons I picked up a bass in the first place.

6. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Add another Mountain fan to the list!
    I be one!

7. "Sitting on a Rainbow" with its double-bass beat....

8. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Dude, THANK YOU for giving me a GOOD flashback!:D
    Years back I saw Mountain perform in LA at a smaller venue and it was awesome!
    Felix had a Rickenbacker I believe, and Leslie had tone to spare-
    I remember my band back then covered "Never in MY Life" That was one of the first tunes that personally gave me a jolt playing bass -
    "Da-da-da-da-DA DA- da-da-da-DA!
    Love it!

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Why on Earth did Mountain have/need a keyboard player?!

I'm from the Flowers Of Evil & Mountain Live era...I think Felix is holding a violin-shaped bass(Gibson?) on the back cover of one of those records.

Pappalardi was very involved with Cream's studio recordings(sideman, arranger, producer?).

I'm a "Crossroader", baby...

10. That would be a Gibson EB-1

11. Mountian ROCKS!!!! I think Steve Knight was a good addtion to the band back then, but I saw them in St. Louis back in May as a three peice and oh my GOD-it was a life changing experience. I have never seen a more real band. Long live distorted bass!

Just call me Long Red :)

12. dkmonroe

dkmonroe

Jul 3, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Cool! Felix is not forgotten! :D

That live version of Nanucket Sleighride is one of my favorite bass performances ever. I can still remember hearing it for the first time, and thinking, "Damn, that is the BASS!" I had a Fender Bassman head at the time, and I could somewhat approximate that sound, but only at peak volume.

It may be somewhat irreverent to say so, but I actually prefer Mountain's live jams to Cream's, although Mountain purloined their style to a great extent. Mountain seemed a little more melodic, a little less chaotic. That's not to say that Jack Bruce didn't completely kick ass, of course, but Felix was a really special player as well.

13. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Hey DK....I noticed in your profile of influences, the name Busta Cherry Jones.........I really dug his playing too!......with both Sharks[after Andy Fraser] and Talking Heads. I wish the Taking Heads would put out the live album he played on.....super funky!
    The last I heard he was living here in Hawaii.

14. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Anyone remember West, Bruce and Laing's "Why Dontcha"???

15. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I saw that short lived band a few times too......I used to love those power trios:D And that includes Mountain, because even live you would never know they had a keyboard player.....same with Ten Years After........god I'm old;)

16. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    We gettin' there!

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    This a.m. I was flipping thru a "picture history" of the Filmore East at the Va. Beach Barnes & Noble...nice trip down memory lane seeing all those '60s/'70s bands AND the MOUNTAINS of amplifiers & speaker cabs! Damn!(If interested, check out the Band Of Gypsys photo). ;)

Anyway, there's a couple pics of Mountain; Felix is sportin' a Gibson EB-1(as BBCat has graciously pointed out).
    Also, Mountain was on the bill for the very last show...6-27-71.

18. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    There were at least three West, Bruce and Laing albums.Why Dontcha, Whatever Turns You On, and the live album Alive and Kicking. Of the three, Why Dontcha is my favorite. The albums don't sound like they were mixed that well, but it is some kickass rock. Some of Bruce's lines amaze me still today as much as then.

19. dkmonroe

dkmonroe

Jul 3, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Jerry!

I have only two albums with Busta on them, but both changed my playing considerably. They are "The Name of this Band is Talking Heads", and "My Life In the Bush of Ghosts." I've spent many a long hour jamming to I Zimbra, Houses in Motion, and Regiment.

Busta's playing was so incredible. Listening to him really taught me to stop trying to play the bass like a guitar, and let it be the rhythm instument it really is. To this day, when I'm explaining the bass to someone, I tell them, "The bass is really more like a drum than a guitar."

Busta Jones taught me that.

Unfortunately, I understand he died a few years ago. I'm not sure if it was an overdose or by violence, but it was certainly an untimely death.

20. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Count me in as another Mountain fan. Saw them twice - the most recent was just last June, and I drove about 400 miles to see them. My old high school friends and I had a quick reunion. We went to the drummer's studio and played for the first time in almost 30 years. What song? "The Doctor" from WB&L! "Out in The Fields" was probably my favorite WB&L song. When we were younger, we saw WB&L almost a year before their first album came out. Watching Jack Bruce from 20 feet away made want to go home and throw rocks at my bass! :eek:
    Some of the live Mountain stuff gets a little tedious, but they were a truly great band, and Felix was one of the great producers.