1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mounting 15 in back of my 210 facing backwards,good or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Triclops, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I would just cut out the hole, move the crossover and input jacks elsewhere grill it off and voila! a pounding 4 ohm cab
    without the hassle of moving 2 cabs! By positioning the cab close to a wall, The bass from the 15 would bounce off the wall making a bassier sound right?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, but that could screw up the whole tuning of the box, and the whole physics of the box would be screwed. It would be better to get a 15 cab separate, so that way you could add the 15 if you felt the need.

3. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    The 2 X 10 cabinet isn't tuned/vented for a 15" cone. It probably isn't a good idea.

4. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I can't take my 115 along on the road, so I am looking for a solution because my tone suffers when my head runs at 8 ohms.Maybe I'll just sell em and get an 8x8 or something...
    any suggestions?

5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Ampeg made some "Dual-Drive" enclosures in the '80s that used this concept. They were 2-driver cabs with one speaker in front, and another wired out of phase facing backwards. But of course they were designed from the ground up to work this way. And I remember some PA speaker from the '80s that had a rear-facing 15 and a number of small forward-facing speakers (maybe 5") in the same cab. I saw upright master Mike Richmond play through some of these at a high school jazz clinic/concert--sounded pretty hi-fi for the era.

I'm no speaker design expert but as others have noted, adding another speaker to your 210 will reduce the internal air volume and mess up the tuning of the cabinet. Again this might work if you designed it as a system from scratch but you could easily end up with a bad-sounding cab with no resale value.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    so, buy something that works. A henry 8x8 would be cool. What tone are you looking for anyways? A 210 is hardly enough for any loud gig. A 410 or more is likely a requirement.

BTW, if you're a madison sound rep, don't you get some sweet deals on their stuff? Get yourself a bigger cab!

7. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I need compactness, and 600w power handling at 4 ohms,Madisons 410 is an 8 ohmer! Don't worry! I've looked at my options with madison...

8. There are plenty of good compact cabs out there that are 4 ohm and can handle 600 Watts. I'm looking for the same thing and think I'll buy the Epifani T-410UL. Schroeders cabs all very compact and powerful, but I didn't like their voicing.