Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mounting a Dual Concentric Pot on a Rear Rout Body;Help...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tonrutoo, Aug 20, 2004.

1. tonrutoo

tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    Hello again.
    I'm toying with the idea of putting a dual concentric pot in place of the single volume pot I had planned.
    I'm figuring the threading won't be deep enough to deal with a rear routed body,ala a single long shaft pot.
    My first idea was to rout the hole in the body a little wider to accomidate the shorter shaft.Then I would cut a small circular mounting plate out of a sturdy pickguard material and screw it down.
    I spent a couple of hours looking for a long shaft dual concentric pot,and didn't find any.What I'd really like besides that would be a metal mounting plate.
    Any ideas?

2. Fill-In

Fill-In

Jul 24, 2004
    If you're asking what I think you're suggesting, it sounds like a really great idea that I've always wanted to try myself.

Kind of like flush mounting the lower pot? Go for it. That part of the body can trimmed pretty thin without disaster, I believe.

3. tonrutoo

tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    No,but I think you just gave me a better idea.
    So what your saying is:
    I could cut a concave rout on the top(instead of through the back)which would result in a recessed control like I've seen on some PRS guitars.Since the mounting plate would be on the inside of the control cavity I could use a wider mounting surface resulting in a stronger design.
    My communication skills must stink,but in this case it's resulted in me seeing things in your light.
    I appreciate the input;thank you!