1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mounting a horn? (Acoustic 201 cab)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tim Mansell, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Tim Mansell

Tim Mansell

Jan 14, 2017
    Hey ya'll, I just snagged an Acoustic 201 cabinet. Original speakers were replaced with Carvin PS15's, but I have the old horn. I'm having a real hard time figuring out how to keep the horn itself mounted securely in the cabinet. There were the remains of some sort of sticky foam on the horn itself, but the driver makes it so back-heavy I don't foresee a similar method working. Got any creative solutions to mounting a horn?

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, or if there is a similar pre-existing thread. :)

2. Use wood to make a bracket with a clamp that holds the horn at the narrow end (throat). Then use some adhesive backed felt to seal the mouth of the horn to the baffle. The bracket could be a single side to side board (3/4 inch plywood) with a clamp for the horn. The clamp could even be a u-shaped metal clamp available at hardware stores.

3. My tag line used to say "Tweeters Suck."

Of course, I'm the only bass guy on the face of the earth who sees ZERO value in HF horns on a bass rig to accentuate all those screechy Hi Freq noises like HISSSSSSSSS; SQEEEEEEK; TTiKK TTaKK; and ZZZZZZZP.
    I've always thought, let that be the guitar player's pathetic irritating thing.

But then, I'm just a hack bass mook, what do I know?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    BogeyBass likes this.
  4. Come on BigSky, tell us what you really think!! :D

AstroSonic likes this.
  5. So the best solution is a plywood panel across the tweeter opening? :)

Al Kraft and Jeff Scott like this.
  6. Or you could store some sandwiches in there during the gig.

7. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Mmmm sandwich

8. Tim Mansell

Tim Mansell

Jan 14, 2017
    I was thinking about taking my amp head out of its casing and rack mounting it in the horn recess. 4.5 foot tall, 100+ pound combo amp. Thank you for the advice Astro!

9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Related to Nigel?

10. Tim Mansell

Tim Mansell

Jan 14, 2017
    Not as far as I know haha. I know essentially nothing about history on my dads side.

11. StingRay85

StingRay85

Dec 18, 2011
    How did you fix it? I found the exact same thing. Was it also a Celestion DC100 15 ohm driver? I think they must have assembled the driver+horn, sprayed some PUR foam on the back, and then slided the horn in position. I will probably do the same.