Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mounting a poweramp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sound Guy Paul, Jul 14, 2001.

1. Tonight I was playing a gig and I was talking to the sound man (who I am good friends with) about setting up a rack. He told me that you do not want to put a poweramp in a normal rack i.e. SKB's normal line. He said that poweramps need something stronger. Does anybody have any experience with this. And if its true, Why?

2. I just built myself a power amp in a rack mount case. So too with the pre-amp. i would like to mount them in a rack hopefully.

I assume the techie is coming from the point of view that power amps are heavier? I know mine is considerably heavier than the pre-amp.

I dunno, maybe thats why.

:p

Merls

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I just use a heavy duty ATA road ready case...strong enough to mount an elephant in.

Yeah, don't say it.

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    You want to stay away from SKB stuff...it's junk. I've had a power amp twist the rack rails because it wouldn't hold the weight when the rack was set down on its side. The latches don't last so the ends fall off after a while. Spend a little extra money and get yourself a good ATA rack...it'll be cheaper in the long run.

5. Cool discussion...Wrong forum Doh! ( 8^(o)

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yeah....dumb me mounted my bass 350 in the middle of my SKB rack, opened it up to find the back of the head resting on the bottom of the rack. SUCK!

when i finish my new rig (samson wireless, carvin poweramp, SWR preamp) i think i'll either get an ATA one or one of those shockmount SKB's.

jason

and angus...you mount elephants often? :D

7. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    Good power amps are heavy (figure 40# each or more).

We ended up having (3) Mackie 1400's, so we built a box the right size with rack rails on the front, and an open top about 1' deep on top with BIG handles on top and casters on bottom.

It takes 2 to move this thing off the truck (120# or so) but it rolls pretty well; it stays up near the stage and has enough room in the top to hold the snake. The rack mounts only serve to keep things from sliding around; they don't carry any weight.

8. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    If you can put an 80 pound SVT2 in a rack, then you can put almost any power amp in a rack.

9. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    PLehmer, your sound man friend may have been referring to some of the more heavy-duty racks that have rails in both the front and rear. Many pro power amps will have a way that you can use a rear rail to stabilize the back of the amp as well as the front. Aside from a shock-mount rack (which really isn't necessary for a solid-state amp), that's the best way.

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Interspecies breeding, baby! :D

I agree with Mike on this one, i have a head in a 2 space SKB rack that the store included with the head for cheap...two latches broke in 2 weeks. Nobody touched them. Under the stress of the elephant ear (or wing, if you prefer) clip they twisted (and consequently) broke off and twisted the elephant ear, so I have to get two new latches, if those will even fit. I'm considering just going and buy another 2 space ATA rack for it, so it wont ever break, pretty much!

11. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I've owned a few SKB's, and they have held up fairly well for me. If you have a heavy or deep power amp, you should rear support it regardless of what style of rack your using. I have a big tube rig now, and use a 12-space shock rack that takes two people to lift into the van. <sigh> its either one way or the other,but a 3 foot high rack case is handy for putting your cab on top and hearing yourself better.

12. SKB is rated at 69 pounds max. You should also have rear rails and mount the amp at the rear as well.

I had to build a rack case to mount my 69 pound QSC MX-3000a, and 35 pounds RMX-850 amps.

13. Well that pretty much answered my question. But some of you actually built your own cases for Poweramps. Is this necessary? Has anyone failed with an ATA case?

14. And this might sound like a stupid question, but what is an ATA case?

15. its basicly a "standard" type of rack, or case. look at coyoteboy's picture, that is a ata style case. Its generaly made of wood, metal binding, and some have shock mounting. the skb cases that are commonly shunn'd upon in this thread are made of plastic, and imho are way over priced. I got my ATA stlye case for a smidge more than an skb 4 space rack. (not the roto racks)

anyone here use skb roto racks? with all the problems of the standard rack, wonder how bad the cheeper one is.

16. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    ATA rated case is one that meet or exceeds the Air Transportation Association's Specifications 300, Category 1 protocol. If your case meets the standards then you are able to claim insurance if you case is somehow damaged while it is in the care of your air transportation provider.

The ATA specification list just has a bunch of stuff on it that an approved case should have. Things like specific construction materials, corner and edge designs, particular types of riveting, and recessed handles and latches are all on there.

For a more detailed description of the requirements for an Air Transport Association Spec. 300, Category 1 compliant case, visit the link below.

http://anvildealer.com/anvil_cases_ata_specifications.htm

p.s. The SKB Rotoracks are not ATA compliant.

17. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i use a 4 space rotorack for my bass 350, and also my band has one for the horn sections wireless system and the keyboard player has one with a hammond organ module in it.

they're "ok." they do get beat around alot, thrown i nthe back of vans with sh!tloads of other stuff, and haven't really broken yet (except for my incident mentioned earlier) but none of these racks have anything heavy in them except for mine.

i wouldn't feel comfortable putting my new rig (including a preamp with 2 expensive EL84 tubes) in the roto rack. i'll get an ATA case when i've got everythign sorted.

jason

18. coyoteboy that is an awesome rack! BTW, how did you attach that jpg to the message?

19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I have my PLX 1602 and preamp in a 4RU SKB case. The amp is attached to the rails front and back. It works great. But I wouldn't put something like a Crest 8001 in that case. I think that would be way too heavy.

-Bob

20. I sold my new SKB 6-space rack because it didn't have any rear rails, and wasn't rated strong enough to hold my MX-3000a and RMX-850. IMO, any amp that is deep enough to be attached to the rear rails, should be firmly anchored to those rails.