Mounting Fishman p/u to F hole?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by shackman, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Now I have no idea any detail behind this, but the luthier that works on my bass says he has heard of people taking the fishman pickup and cliping right on to the wood of your bass via the F hole. he says its less finger noise and sounds better. Has anyone heard of doing this or know the pros/ cons/ maybe dangers of it.. lemme know..
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I've heard of people doing many things with Fishman pickups in order to get rid of that dreaded finger noise, including sticking the elements under the bridge feet in imitation of the Realist. I imagine the only thing you would risk screwing up by clipping one to the F hole would be the finish on the top where the clip would go. Actually, that's an interesting idea...let us know how it turns out.
  3. oystein

Sep 15, 2001
    Norway, Leikong
    On my former bass, a 7/8 Wilfer, I did clip the fishman transducer on the top by the f-hole with a decent result. The sound was woodier and less finger noisy. The pickups got less resistant to feedback this way.
    BTW, my present setup does not include the Fishman pickup.
  4. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    How was the volume compared to attaching to the bridge?
  5. oystein

Sep 15, 2001
    Norway, Leikong
    As far as I remember the volume was a little bit lower when the the pickup was mounted this way.
    BTW, when this subject was discussed in another forum Ed Friedland tried it on his bass but he was not satisfied with the result on his bass, if I remember correct the D-string got very boomy.