1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mounting MB200 to cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tim Hall, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Tim Hall

Tim Hall

May 23, 2005
    I've done a couple of forum searches and haven't seen this before, so I'm asking. I have an MB200 and an old-style Avatar 1x12 cube that I'd like to turn into a tiny "combo" like the ibanez Prometheans. What would be the best way to attach the head to the top of the cab so it's reasonably stable in transport but is removable if need be? The cab is carpeted so I was thinking maybe Velcro? Can the feet be removed? They'd almost certainly get lost. Or replace the top handle with a strap that secures the amp (but might obstruct the fan vents)?

Anyone done this? Success/failure? Bad idea all round? I'm attaching a pic of the head/cab setup as is.

5EAFE728-59AE-4DE1-A6CA-B97232C0CD83.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I'd go with the heavy duty weight-bearing velcro you can find at big hardware chain stores.

bebass, Aqualung60 and middy like this.
  3. AngusHasMoxie

AngusHasMoxie

Mar 11, 2013
    Easthampton, MA
    Formerly endorsed by Carvin, Basson and Dimarzio
    Industrial velcro will work great, but you'll never get it off the carpet.

Out of curiousity, why do you want to mate them together in the first place?

lz4005 likes this.
  4. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    This. The point of these micros i thought was the ease of transport/throw in a gig bag pocket/carry on one finger/etc etc.

lz4005 likes this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Pop open the chassis and see if there is some exposed metal at the bottom of the head. If there is, simply drive a couple small drill point screws through it and let it ride. Be mindful of the tiny pieces of metal that will result. Get all of that stuff out of there before closing it up. A small vacuum should get it done.

If there is no room on the bottom, see if there is a spot on each side you can drill a small hole for a tiny bolt. Then simply install a couple of 90 degree brackets from the local hardware store.

6. Tim Hall

Tim Hall

May 23, 2005
    Can't leave well enough alone I suppose, but I'd always liked the idea of a tiny portable combo with detachable head like the old Ibanez Prometheans or the GB Shuttles. I know, just go buy one of those then, but thought I might experiment with what I have lying around for a grab and go combo. The head is so light I'm also just a little worried about pulling it off the cab by tugging on the instrument cable. Whatever I do I don't want to make permanent changes to either piece. Thanks for the replies so far. If I make any mods I'll report back.

7. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    Just get a rack shelf that is perforated & attach

MB200_zpsfrlfxtr6.

8. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    Never mind. I thought your question was about mounting it in a rack. Sorry

9. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    If you don't care about aesthetics, put a heavy duty retaining strap around it and call it good.

Sub Four likes this.
  10. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    GK or Gator or whoever can sell you nice bags that let you put the head, power cord, speaker cable, etc. in a bag you can carry over your shoulder with the cab in your hand. I think you take a risk having those cords/cables and the head exposed as you navigate around door handles, banisters on stairs, etc, that can easily get you in trouble quickly. Just my 2 cents, as a guy who bumps into everything in the room at some point during load in and load out.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    Ewo, TalHaz and deathness like this.
  11. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Bungee cords and duct tape tend to be my "go to" problem solvers when I need stuff to hang together during transport or at a show, but relying on them as permanent solutions can sometimes move them to the category of problem creators! :)

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Heavy duty velcro. - four pieces at the corners would be enough. But doing so will only make the amp more difficult to transport, more likely to get damaged, and heavier.

If you don't have a gigbag with a pocket, consider finding a padded bag (laptop, camera, etc.) - some are large enough for your cables, mic, and a few pedals as well. Lots of people toss them, and then you can carry the cab in one hand, bass in the other, and the head around your neck - one trip to or from your car. That's what I do with my lightweight 2x12.

bassfran and Al Kraft like this.
  13. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Yeah. I was thinking there really wasn't much advantage to bolting a micro head to the cabinet, but some significant disadvantages.

Plutonium244 and Al Kraft like this.
  14. FerruleCat

FerruleCat

Mar 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Out of curiosity, what difference does the motivation make to a simple technical question?

INTP likes this.
  15. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

Jan 8, 2007
    so you want to be able to haul it with the two pieces attached? not sure i would like that idea. what if it shifts while in a moving vehicle, slams the head into something and damages it? or bend it, or at the least rips out whatever you have attached it with?

Ewo likes this.
  16. FerruleCat

FerruleCat

Mar 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
  17. unresolved

unresolved Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2015
    SF Bay Area
    A few years ago, I removed the rubber feet from the bottom of my MB200 and used heavy duty velcro to attach it to a tolex-covered cab. During the first gig, the heat generated by the MB200 caused the adhesive holding the tolex to the cab to release. I took off the velcro and put the feet back on.

18. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    If you're worried about pulling the amp off, just loop your guitar cord through the cabinet handle before plugging it into the amp, or get a longer cord with lots of slack.

Plutonium244, Ewo and Al Kraft like this.
  19. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Having grown up with lead sled amps and cabs that required you to put helper springs on your car if you wanted to take more than one of them to a gig, it amazes me with today's gear that people are still not fully satisfied with the level of portability/convenience. I can't wait until we get wristwatch amps that Bluetooth connect to your bass and use a sonic beam to convert windows and mirrors in the venue to speaker surfaces. Even with that though, I'm guessing someone will want to have a way to eliminate the wrist band on the "Amp-Watch". :laugh:

deathness and BadExample like this.
  20. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I always loop the cord on the cab for every amp regardless of size or weight - this is a best practice in my book. I'd always rather replace a ruined/damaged cord than an input jack or a head.