1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mounting my Hipshot bridge to a Buckeye Burl top

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by AndyMania, Mar 5, 2010.

1. AndyMania

AndyMania

Jan 3, 2010
    Something that recently caught my attention is that when I mount my Hipshot bridge to my Buckeye Burl top, will the Burl be strong enough to hold it. We know Burl is fragile but are there any special steps I need to take to make sure my bridge (specially under string tension) doesnt rip off? Longer screws maybe? Adding wood hardner to the Burl? Suggestions and advice greatly appreciated.

-Andy

2. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    I'm assuming it's a 1/4" top right? I'm not sure what the "standard" sized screw is, but I'd think you'd at least be using a 1" screw giving you 3/4" in the solid wood which should be plenty to hold that sucker down.

3. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Well also keep in mind, the string pull is not exactly pulling upward from the body either........ it's actually pulling in a sideways direction, which in comparison makes it a bit more awkward to just pull straight off, especially with the direction the screws are oriented.

4. AndyMania

AndyMania

Jan 3, 2010
    Yeah its a 1/4 top. So I should definitely have the screws go into the bottom body wood as well right?

5. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    If it were a solid "normal" wood body, I'd want at least 1/2" into the body, which would mean a 5/8" minimum flat or oval head screw. With 1/4" of buckeye, I would add 1/4" to that.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020