Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mounting neon lights on your equipment, ever been done ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lewibassist, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Hiya i was woundering if anyone has mounted a neon strip or sumthing like that in an empty rack space. Or maybe on there pedal board. Or for an example like the sound systems you see in modded cars. They always have neons to make it eye catching and stand out. I was woundering if you can do the same thing with a stack ? .

2. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    You could, but depending on the pickups of your bass you'd be getting a lot of fuzz and feedback.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Not if you use Rope Lights :)

4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
  5. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Haha, I've been actually thinking of putting some on my rack or cab for the next big show we have.

6. Check this out, maybe it's what you're looking for.
    http://www.upstairs-records.com/odgewe20.html
    or:
    http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=20698&Category=Cases
    They look pretty cool.

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Not a good idea. Neon lights induce noise in nearby electrical products like amps. I usually make it a point to unplug any neon bar lights hanging on the stage walls when I play.

8. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Ihttp://glowire.com/
    I was thinking of embedding some in a bass and run off a 9v.

9. Humm...

Since the color of the glowire chances due to the frequency, wouldn't it be cool if there was a way to make it glow to the frequency of whatever note you were playing? Sometime tells me this would require a lot more equipment and money than its worth.

10. I agree. Neon and flourescent lights can cause all kinds of noise and such.
    The lights that are mentioned in my post above (via web link) are LED, and as far as I know,
    they have none of those "noisy" qualities. It could be worth a look.

11. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Check out color organs. They were popular back in the 60's-70's, and you can still buy small, cheap color organ kits at electronics stores. The ones I've seen respond to amplitude, not frequency (though multi-band color organs can respond to multiple frequency ranges). Some have line inputs, and some have microphones. Just make sure to get one with an input sensitivity adjustment on it.

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hmm, Trace-Elliot....

13. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I've got an empty rackspace that I'd love to incorporate a light system that would respond to my playing. Could you incorporate one of these color organs with a some kind of rackspace light?

14. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Definitely. Here's an example of a simple one that you can hook to speaker wires for the input (I'd check the power input range before hooking an amp directly to this one), and then you can just plug up to 200W of the lights of your choice into it, and it would flash in time to your playing:

single-channel color organ

And hey, for under $10, you can't lose!

I've used these things for lightning controllers (triggered by a thunder track) on Halloween before, and they're pretty cool.

Sean Mc

15. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    As JMX pointed out, Trace Elliot used lighting. Flourescent UV blacklights to be exact. I can tell you that those heads sure didn't pickup any noise.

My current Trace is a rackmount so I don't have the factory blacklight. Well I like that Trace look so what I did was use two UV cold cathode tubes that the PC gamers use to light up their towers. I get compliments on the looks of my rig all the time. I replaced the bulbs in my glorified power strip with red X-mas light bulbs as well. Here is a pic. BTW, no noise :D