1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mounting small class D amp to pedalboard?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Hey guys!

Curious if anyone has mounted a gk mb500 or similar to a pedalboard? Looking to streamline my gear and thought this might be a good way to go. Use with a passive wedge monitor. I thought of going to a powered monitor to fix this, but if I could mount a head to my pedalboard it would offer more power, flexibility with tone and the ability to use a wider variety of floor wedges ( or full size cabinets if needed).

TIA

2. McFarlin

McFarlin Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Check-out the main Quilter thread. A few users are doing that with the Bass Block.

Quilter Bass Block

3. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    As long as it gets good air flow and it's protected when when you travel, why not? The manual might state minimum air space requirements.

4. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I thought about the same thing a lot.
    My two main problems were that
    1) I like my speaker cables as short as possible. Usually I make new ones when I get a new cab or head. With the poweramp on your pedalboard you will need to use a fat, unwieldy and unshielded cable in different settings - so you will have to have a rather long one to accommodate for all eventualities (Cab right next to the board vs. board in front, cab behind you et cetera).
    2) I don't like to have a poweramp on the floor where it gathers dust and dirt in terrifying speed and is in constant danger of getting showered in liquids. Get a glass of beer on your pedalboard and you'll most likely hear a loud pop.
    Get a glass of beer on your pedalboard with poweramp and the pop will sound different. I'm no engineer, but I guess all those watts can get pretty angry.

I use a small class D Poweramp right next to whatever speaker I'm driving, that solution feels better for myself.

McFarlin likes this.
  5. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Pouring your beer on you pedal board is alcohol abuse.