1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mounting subs in your car.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by karrot-x, May 7, 2006.

1. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I have a 2006 Xterra S 4x4 6MT. I want to mount JL Audio 10w3's under the seats. I just measured the depth required and it looks like the width will fit. However, that's without a box. The seat will also be 1cm from the woofer, so immediately there will be some depreciation. Can I leave them mounted there without a box? If I did add a box what kind of sound quality am I looking at?

Thanks,

-- Steve

EDIT: Here are the subs: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/10W3v2_MAN.pdf

2. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    It would be problematic to try and do what you are wanting to do and keep the quality of the sound in tact.

The frequency response of the speakers would be adversly affected if you ran then sans box and would not give you the "bass" I assume you are looking for should you mount them is a very smalled sealed container.

A program which I think can beter explain it woild be WinISD which allows you to calcualate the frequency responces and a variety of other speaker related factors.

I.e. you can calcualte what size (volume) box you would need to mount the speakers in to get the best response out of them.

3. No way you're going to get the bass you want without a box. Surely your Xterra has enough space for them somewhere.

4. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I really do not want to loose space. I have to haul everything and if I were to put a box in the back that would really hinder space. I'm thinking now of mounting it on the roof of the back. Has anyone seen this done or have thoughts on it?

5. Never seen anyone mount them to the roof, but who knows, it might be able to be done. Id be worried about them falling down from going over bumps offroad. Those JL's dont look like they are suitable for free-air usage, so youd need a box. If you want to save space, try using truck style boxes that are taller and narrower, thatll save some space.

Dave

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    If you want to do it right, spend some money on Dynamat. It's like the car audio's version of the Gramma Pad from Auralex.

Dynamat is great stuff. I've used it for years in all of my rides.

-Mike

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    definitely spring for some proper boxes. They will just be rattle generators until you do that. Actually, they are likely to self-destruct without proper boxes. If you push them to produce anything noticeable, you will be running them flat out, and that will not be good. Boxes direct all the sound where it should go, and provides the proper air cushion and resonating space that the speaker needs to operate properly.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Get these.

E4452W1M6842P3C.
    [​IMG]

9. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

This would do much better in the AMPS forum.

Bass response is dramatically affected by the enclosures.
    No enclosures? I don't think you are going to like the
    performance much. JMHO, but I think you are wasting your
    time and money.

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    If by "everything" you mean your bass rig, then do what I did on my old car and make the car sub enclosure removable. In fact I made mine interchangable with my 2x10 bass cab, which obviously didn't go as low as the dedicated car sub, but at least provided something under 100Hz for those trips to and from gigs.