Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mouradian or Tobias?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fealach, Aug 28, 2005.

Tobias or Mouradian?

Poll closed Sep 4, 2005.
  1. Sell the Mouradian to buy the Tobias

8 vote(s)
    13.6%
  2. Keep the Mouradian. There'll be another Tobias eventually.

30 vote(s)
    50.8%
  3. Sell everything. Get a Sadowsky.

21 vote(s)
    35.6%
  1. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I'm of course going to make up my own mind, or more likely hesitate until the bass in question is sold and so avaoid having to decide, but I'd like some opinions. I currently have (among several other basses) a black Mouradian CS-74. I've had it for a long time, and I'm very fond of it. Before I got it, I had wanted one ever since Yes' 90125 days, so finding an affordable one was something of a victory for me.

Recently I came across an early, passive Tobias. Ever tried out a bass and have it say "TAKE ME HOME!"? I've wanted a Tobias since the 80's. It's not exactly affordable, I'd have to sell something to get it, and the Mouradian is seeing the least use. What do you think? Some particulars:

The CS-74 is in very good shape, some super fine scratches in the black paint and a couple dings. It's perhaps my favorite body style ever. Plays better than anything, rests comfortably at the perfect angle or playing, nice small neck. The rarity appeals to me too, I like having unusual gear. On the other hand, while it sounds quite good, there really isn't much of a place for its sound in my "toolbox" as it were. Since I got my Alembic it has only been a backup bass. Another quibble is that it has less than 24 frets, so even as a backup bass I cannot play all my songs exactly the same, I do go that high in places. Sure I could hit the note somewhere else, but it'd be easier not to have to adjust. Also, it has dot markers on the fretboard. I am not a fan of dots.

The Tobias has a wonderful neck. Unmarked fretboard. It's a translucent stain, not my choice for a finish but it looks OK. In very good condition, obviously well cared for. I generally prefer the flexibility of active electronics, but this bass is fine without them. Where the CS-74 is tonally in the similar territory as my Alembic, this is completely different. It's all about the midrange. Can't get a "scooped" sound with just a passive tone knob, but my amp does have EQ if need be, and as it wouldn't be my only 4 string I could just use it for the songs needing its voice. It would fit perfectly in my "toolbox."

I cannot see any way to afford it without selling something. Would you, and do you have any idea what it would be worth? I'm thinking I'll regret parting with it, but also regret not getting the Tobias. Ugh.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Rock vs. Hard Place!

tough call..... They made a lot of Tobias basses. I've only ever seen 3 of those Mouradian.

3. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I voted sell the bass and get a Tobias. But really if you want something even moer slammin' get an Fbass or Nordstrand.

Of course, this is coming from someone who thinks $2500 is the limit to spend on a brand NEW bass. I just can't justify flashy woods, selling for the name, $180 electronics etc.. for 3k and up. Thats about all I have left on my car payment for instance. Seems like normal basses can be modded for way cheaper than say a Sadowsky. For me, making my desicion for an Fbass was all about feel, variety of sound, looks, and bang for buck.

Whatever turns you on though! ;)

4. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    That's tough... but if it were me, I'd probably keep the Mouradian.

5. Bass Tranquil

Bass Tranquil

Nov 16, 2003
    Keep it, chances are the Tobias will see even less play down the line and you'll wonder "***"

You yourself even said it looks "ok". If it isn't visually appealing, that still doesn't make up for the mintyness of the condition.

6. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    I'd keep the Mouradian. That's a very rare bass, and you'll be kicking yourself in the nuts years from now if you sell it.

7. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    Never sell a bass you like to get another. Sell your car.

8. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I've considered it recently actually. I could have more cool toys if I didn't have a car payment, but I really like the car.

The Tobias isn't unattractive at all, it's just that I prefer the look of a clear finish on a nice piece of wood. Such is my faith in the operation of the universe that I have to suspect if I did buy it I would soon see another one that I'd like better. Course if I don't buy it I will never see another. With any luck I'll be able to vacillate until it sells to someone else.

I've also considered having some rather extreme mods done to my Mouradian to make it more what I'd like it to be. I know it would kill the value, but I'd like it more. I'd want to take it to someone reputable, of course. A refinish, and maybe see if something can be done about those damn dots. For starters.

9. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    You'd have to check with him, but I'm pretty sure Michael Dolan would do a refinish, and change the dots...

10. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Sell me the Mouradian {for dirt cheap, I'm poor} and get the Tobias {or anything else, I don't care as long as I get the Mouradian} for yourself.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

{btw, I voted for keeping the Mouradian....}

11. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Looks like I'm going to hang on to the Mouradian. I'm the only one who's less than satisfied with its sound, the band and anyone who's seen us seem to love it. What drives me crazy is that it's about 80% perfect. It beats any other bass I've played in playability, and looks great. The sound is somewhere between Tobias and Alembic, and I'd prefer one or the other, but being tonally between two great basses is no bad thing I suppose. The dots kill me though. And I hate having to remove the neck pickup to adjust the truss rod. And it doesn't have enough frets, I have a couple songs I like to slide up to the 24th fret for. I know I could just adjust my playing, but it's simpler to have all my basses with the same # of frets. Also the noisiest bass I own. If I'm not touching the strings or bridge, it's terrible, but using a wireless cuts that down dramatically. While playing it's fine, but if I let go of it it gets all hummy. Ah well, it's a good bass, and it's paid for.

I don' t know how to react to the poll. I put option 3 up as a joke, and a Talkbass psych experiment. Interesting that it almost won.

12. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Allright. I just saw this. It's coming from Ed Roman so I know it can't be true.

Sadly The Mouradian Basses are out of production and a used one will bring between $5,000.00 & $7,500.00

That's almost a week's supply of gasoline!

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    So, you're driving one of them little economy cars huh?

14. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    OT I know, but you guys have it easy....!! You still pay nowhere near what we do for fuel in England! :crying:

Keep the Mouradian or let me borrow it permanently... ;)

15. +1 for keep the Mouradian.If you ever wanna sell it PM me.
    BTW just for posterity do you have any pics to post for eye candy.I've wanted one ever since being a Pat Badger fan.

16. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I can put one up as soon as I get some batteries for the camera. I did end up modifying it. Hey, it's my bass! Besides, nothing that can't be undone. I never used the neck pickup, and it got in my way. So I removed it, and made a black plastic cover for the hole, now I can adjust the truss rod without taking the whole )&(^ing bass apart. I put the neck pickup in the bridge position, and rewired the electronics so that now it has a volume, active/passive switch, and the original active treble/bass controls. Much, much better.

The GAS pangs have passed, and I am enjoying having a panoply of rare gear. I think of it as the "What is THAT!?" factor.

17. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I know Jim Mouradian. He's a terrific guy, a great tech, and I am surprised his basses didn't go further. I was in his shop when he showed me one of the first ones he made. So very cool. Chris Squire plays one. That doofus from Extreme played one, too.

However, if you can only afford one, you get the one that speaks to you.