1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mourning my Yamaha BB5000A-show me your Yamaha!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by engedi1, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Yes, there have been BB's in the various models you mention; however, a lot were available elsewhere in the world, while in the US in the late 80's, they were essentially replaced by the RBX's. Then came the TRB's, and Yamaha once again began selling BB-labeled basses after that. I was working at a Yamaha dealer, and suddenly, there were no BB's in the price list. My intent was to say that the original MIJ BB's of the 80's, like a lot of so-called 'Matsumoku-era' 80's Japanese guitars are gone, replaced by other instruments or other products labeled BB (as Yamaha has every right to do) that are just not quite the same thing. Time moves on. Those days are a long time ago, a different world.

And in a practical sense, in some ways they haven't been available: I'm not the only one here who has watched Yamaha toot the big horn at NAMM about introducing some fabulous new axe, only to find they are back-ordered indefinitely and suddenly see them a year or two later as a blowout at some online store in limited numbers. They've always been fickle at this: I worked for a music store, personally knew our Yamaha rep, and waited on a BB2000 for 18 months, which they could never ship. The three bb5000's were all bought used: IF I'd ordered one back in the day, I have no doubt it would still be back-ordered . . . . . . I'm glad they finally seem to be putting those days behind them. Time will tell. And I'd daresay a re-issue BB3000, made to the original blueprint, even at MIJ current prices, would sell in very respectable numbers, but that will never happen.

lowdownthump and Dave Neal like this.
  2. Time to reissue the bb3000 again. They did it in 2009.

Dave Neal and lowdownthump like this.
  3. 10FB63AA-3289-4CD1-877A-31558B9569D6.
    Here's my TRB6.

4. Pretty sweet.

5. engedi1

engedi1 Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    I think if I could have any Yamaha bass, it would be a 90's TRB fiver with the piezo pickups. Killer basses. I also lust after the New Nathan East basses.

Nunovsky and Dave Neal like this.
  6. Dave Neal

Dave Neal

Aug 22, 2015
    My first Yammy was an 83 MIJ BB1100s and I played that bass for 20 years until some prick stole it in 03. It was a killer bass and had become an extension of my soul. I now own 7 Yamaha's and have become brand faithful to the brand for reasons you guys understand. I have a few MIJ vintage basses,Sa-75, 78 BB1000, but also the newer BB's...MIT 614's 415,615 and consider them to be excellent although they do not have some of the MIJ candy like the ebony fretboards or the more solid hardware, for the cost of them, they can't be beaten. The other day I was jamming with a few guys and the other bass player there who is a staunch Fender guy wanted to play my 614 he was blown away at the playability and tone he had never played a Yamaha before and I had to chuckle. Of my Fenders,Musicmans, and G&L's my go-to is the BB1000 and the BB614 clear alder. The burst BB615 is the most recent addition and it has had the "Davey" treatment of fret dressing, rebuffing, pot cleaning, and a Schaller bridge, setup,... it's killer for a bass that was purchased for under $300.00. DN012125. DN012126. 20180909_171601#1. 20181016_173841. 20181104_173611. Getting the once over on the bench last night. DN012162.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    Nunovsky and lowdownthump like this.
  7. GtenderG

GtenderG

Feb 29, 2008
    Here is before and after of my early 90's BB405 that I did a 'Rattle can' refinish on. Not a perfect job but like me, it looks good from a distance. beforeafter_sm.

Crystalman85, engedi1 and Dave Neal like this.
  8. Troberts 98

Troberts 98

Jan 30, 2017
    I have the same basses and finishes. However, BB1025 and BB734. Love them both.

Dave Neal and Nunovsky like this.
  9. Nice, i’d part with a nut or two for those yamahas. Beauties.

Dave Neal likes this.
  10. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Well if you miss the bb basses so much, you should check out the new bb basses. they have the same sound quality as the original bb basses, only with a lighter body. if you're interested in check out some of the other basses made by yamaha, check out the trbx basses. these basses are phenomenal for it's ultra modern design and sound quality. I own one and it sounds like an Ibanez soundgear on steroids. one of the best bass guitars I've ever owned. anything yamaha makes I would like.

lowdownthump likes this.
  11. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    Blind_Drive_Recording_5_2007_039.JPG
    BBG5S

Nunovsky and Yammybass like this.
  12. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.

I use to own a yamaha bb405. it was the first bass I've ever owned. and now I own a yamaha trbx305. one of the best bass guitars I've ever owned.

GtenderG likes this.
  13. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Great deal if this is in decent shape .

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Y...MI5vrW5t7G3gIVj7fsCh0jogk7EAQYASABEgIBgvD_BwE

14. Salmiak

Salmiak

Aug 14, 2018
    Sweden
    This is my precious. Had it since 1992. First owner! After literally 1000s of hours on stage, everything is still working.

9CA8CD91-D4E8-467D-8C8D-592A856F5931.

lowdownthump and Nunovsky like this.
  15. engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    that's what I'm talking about! I want one of those

Salmiak likes this.
  16. I had an old Yamaha when I was in my early teens as well. I'm just turning 40 this year and was feeling the same about wishing I had kept it after going through dozens of other bass's haha. My buddy made a bulk buy at GC a couple weeks ago and just so happened he bought the exact model I had played back in the day. I bought it off him for $60 CAD! Best 60 bucks I ever spent and it's going to be my new drop D bass for live shows and so far has been getting as much play time as my $2200 MM Stingray lol! Also owned a BB425X when I still played a 5 string and it was sweet too. Yamaha makes great bass's for sure.
    20190107_173217.

FB_IMG_1512764607780.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Yammybass, lowdownthump and Dave Neal like this.
  17. engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    wow, that vintage stingray is stunning.

lowdownthump likes this.
  18. Thanks man. It's a '78 and has seen many miles! For sure my favorite bass of all time.

lowdownthump likes this.
  19. Greginperth

Greginperth

Feb 10, 2018
    My humble Yamaha BB1024X.
    I no longer have the BB434M as it was moved on after acquiring the 1024.
    Both exception basses in terms of performance, fit and finish, and value for money.
    Greg. _8106792.
    _8106791.

Yammybass and lowdownthump like this.
  20. StoicStrayCat

StoicStrayCat

Oct 20, 2016
    Memphis
    Here’s my TRBJP2! I’ve had a lot of gear over the years, from entry level to Foderas, and this thing has been my favorite by a landslide.

Attached Files:

Yammybass likes this.