1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mouse in the house(Rob Allen)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blake Bass, Apr 16, 2009.

1. I just got my new Rob allen Mouse 30 from Bass NW yesterday. So far I love this little bass. It has the biggest, deepest, upright like tone I have ever heard from an electric bass and it is only a 30" scale. I didn't think I would like the short scale but so far it hasn't bothered me. I played along with some Jamey Aebersold tracks and I didn't seem to have too much trouble with intonation.
    Bottom line: this is the most unique and definitely one of the best sounding basses I have owned. (there have been many)..I'll write a better review when the honeymoon phase is over. But my first impressions are very good.

No pic no Mouse so here it is.

Attached Files:

2. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    looks great!

I'm neither a fretless nor a short scale guy but I gotta admit, I lust for one of these!

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

That is a beauty!!!!!

I love mine. It sounds great unplugged just sitting around noodling also. It's just a fun instrument all around, an while not cheap, an amazing bang for the buck. Enjoy and congrats.

I have a more stock/base version, and love it very much!

That looks like a special one! ken1.

4. Ken, Nice Mouse , I love that top! Mine is actually a pretty basic off the shelf bass.. Walnut top, Goncalo Alves fingerboard, birdseye maple neck. I agree they aren't cheap but where else can you get this kind of cratsmanship for under 2K?

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 on the value. Man, yours might be a base model, but it sure does look fancy!!!! I like the black binding with that beautifully figured walnut. Nice!

It's also amazing how much of the DB tone comes from good DB technique (duh!). I don't play DB, and kind of just hack around on the Mouse. However, a buddy of mine in Detroit who is a very good DB player came over and played at. At first, it sounded a bit like me... nice and woody and organic, but just 'kind of' DB like. As he settled in, messed with the tone controls on the amp just a touch, and relaxed, it TOTALLY sounded like a DB with a piezo pickup. It was swellin' and bloomin'. Amazing. That was an inspiration to hear.

6. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    way cool bass, those have always been interesting to me

7. Fajah

Fajah

Apr 30, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Beautiful bass, congrats. Of all the basses I've seen and played, to me, Rob Allen's are a work of art. Although I don't own one now, I definitely will one of these days. I've played a Deep 4, MB-2 4, and an MB-2 5. The MB-2 5 with a walnut top is what I'm lusting for. Unfortunately prices really increased here due to the Canadian/US dollar exchange rate.

A general question for those who already own a Rob Allen......are you using your bass for just jazz, or are you finding that it's good for other genres of music?

Enjoy that beautiful new bass!

8. Congrats on the Mouse 30! They're really a fun bass with an incredibly deep tone. I know a lot of URB players say we don't sound like an upright, but I've gotten a few compliments how good mine sound live compared to an upright. Once you get familiar with it, you can get a fairly wide range of tones from it with various techniques.

As for the genres, I used to use mine in a jam band, but they tend to do alright with classic rock, folk, acoustic, and pretty much everything but metal.

9. Alienation

Alienation

Jul 29, 2008
    Midsouth
    Great bass, I love my MB-2, wouldn't mind having a Mouse myself.

10. Fajah

Fajah

Apr 30, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    That's good to know, thanks.

11. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    Very nice.

I love mine for recording. Does the "double bass" well but actually does so much more.

old spalted Brazilian Rosewood.

L1010233.

12. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Nice meeses!

13. Good to see all of the Mouse love..I plan to use mine for jazz and some old country stuff.
    I'll stay with the Sadowsky for everything else.

Richnota That Brazilian Rosewood top is amazing!