1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Move Stingray Pickup Towards Neck?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Fleebag, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Fleebag

Fleebag Quacker!

Sep 7, 2013
    Illinois USA
    Hello, longtime lurker first time poster here. Just wondering if anyone (yes I searched first) has moved a musicman pickup to where a precision pickup is located, or closer to neck, and were you happy with the change in sound? What did you like/not like about the change. I recently picked up my second sbmm sb-14 and thought I'd use it to experiment. I'm hoping it'll fatten it up a bit like a precision. Other than a new pickguard and a little routing is there anything I should be aware of? I also assume returning it to stock is as easy as remounting the pickup and the old pickguard. Any thoughts or experiences with this are appreciated. Thanks

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
  3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I have one the the SX stingrays ...

The original neck was badly S-curved and the preamp was bad So I replaced both. The new neck had one less fret so I had to move the bridge back 1/2".

So that is the same as moveing the pickup except I didn't have to chew up the bass with a router.

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    As long as we are talking surgery...i would leave the bucker right where it is and add a strong single coilup towards rhe neck. The HS MusicMan models have a ton more booty on tap but can still the aggro on...

5. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    You mean like a Fender Blacktop Precision?

86ceb3c861ac3d7b0737b2ccde488ca3.

6. PhatRon

PhatRon I blow bass

Feb 29, 2012
    Lake Stevens, Wa.
    OR A G&L L1000

Attached Files:

7. Fleebag

Fleebag Quacker!

Sep 7, 2013
    Illinois USA

Quote: As long as we are talking surgery...i would leave the bucker right where it is and add a strong single coilup towards rhe neck. The HS MusicMan models have a ton more booty on tap but can still the aggro on...

Is the mm s/c p/up different from a jazz p/up? I was hoping to get a pretty fat, chunkier sound. I would think solo'd it'd sound jazz like. Which pickup would you recommened?

Quote: You mean like a Fender Blacktop Precision?

Yes exactly like that. If it had a jazz neck I'd be all over it.