Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Move Strap buttons to improve body angle?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by angrydad, Jan 18, 2006.

1. angrydad

angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    annville,pa.
    Recently, I completed a bass with a friend of mine ( we're hobbyists, not luthiers). The bass plays pretty nice and balances really well for a 5 string(minimal neck dive).
    The problem is that the body angles up towards the cieling a bit, making upper register playing uncomfortable for the fretting hand. I don't have a gut (not that having one is a bad thing), so that's not what's causing the bass to "lean".
    The body is 1 5/8" thick. I think the problem is : the relief on the back of the body may be too deep, causing the upper half of the bass to lean into me, hence the fretboard tilts up. If I place something ( a small match box for example) between my chest and the back of the bass, the bass sits nice and level, with the fretboard facing forward, not angled up, making upper register playing a breeze.
    The strap buttons are centered on the upper horn and butt end. Do you think that moving the strap buttons more towards the back of the instrument (maybe an1/8") would cause the bass to "face forward". Thanks.

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    No, I don't think so. The problem is the forearm, that lies on the body, pressing it towards you. And since the arm is on the upper part of the bass, it pushes that into your belly.

Any ideas on how to fix it, then? Not really. But it would seem that the only obvious way is to put a distance in between you and the the upper edge of the bass. It should be possible to make some kind of thin sheet, that folds in on the back when not in use, and folds out to a specific angle when needed...like a piece of masonite, with a strap as an angle restrictor...not a boa constrictor, but similar...thinking...time to go to work....bye....

3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Does the body have a forearm cut? Could it be made deeper so your arm wouldn't be pushingthe bass into you as much?.....Just thinking it over...t