Move to NC?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Oct 27, 2005.

1. I live in New York right now, have all my life. Last year one of my best friends moved to North Caroline for college. I've been down there twice to visit so far and I like the town and everything.
    First off, let me tell you a bit about myself. I graduated high school over 2 years ago and have done pretty much nothing since then. I hang out with the same handful of friends all the time, work the same job since 11th grade, do the same thing every day, and the predictability really gets on my nerves.
    I've been talking to my friend in NC, and we both agree that it would be pretty cool if I moved down there with him. He lives in a kickass apartment complex where rent is DIRT cheap compared to anything in NY. About $700 for a NICE 2 bedroom apartment down there, where in NY the same apartment would well be over $1000. EVERYTHING is cheaper down there, so financially speaking it's a great idea.
    I could save up some money and move down there in a few months. I never had my own place and I've been busting to get out of my parents house for a while now. I could go to the University of North Carolina in Charlotte, which is only a short drive from his town. Overall it would be a pretty sweet life down there.
    BUT, I would be leaving the rest of my friends, which would suck immensely, I'd be 700 miles from any family, and I'd have to pretty much start over completely.
    I've been thinking about this for a few weeks now and I'm still not sure what to do. He keep telling me to do it soon, I keep delaying.
    I know this isn't exactly the best place to ask for advice on the subject but I need some outside input.
  2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I recently did move to NC, and so far it's been the best thing I've ever did. I love the place, although I'm not near Charlotte, but in Greensboro, about 90 minutes north of there. I've spent some time in Charlotte, and while it's a decent city, part of why I left Orlando was to get away from the "hustle & bustle" of a major city. Greensboro is just right for me....big enough to have a modest amount of culture and a music scene, small enough that I can get basically anywhere in about 10 minutes, and there is no traffic to speak of.

....of course, maybe my day gig has something to do with why I dig it here so much...

3. Doooo it. NCs the place to be. Ok, so I may be a bit biased, who cares? I live in Wilmington, coastal southeast North Carolina, and aside from it getting incredibly hot and humid sometimes and insane (for NC) traffic, its nice. Wrightville beach is definitely the best beach if thats your thing.

What kind of thing are you looking to do in college? Some of NCs schools are better suited for some things than others, like most other schools.

So Gard, you think you can get me like a 50% discount for a fellow NCer? I sure would like one of those Roscoes. ;)
  4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    "incredibly hot and humid"??? really need to visit central Florida in August before you say that. Really.

I was in Wilmington a few times this summer, and it was warm, but...NOTHING compared to what I just left!

I agree, he really should research the schools based on what he wants to do. I know that UNCG has a very highly regarded design department, and the music & drama departments are excellent as well. It's also a BEAUTIFUL campus. NCer discount....hmmm

5. bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    I thought I'd comment on this since I've lived in NC for at least half of my life, the other half being New York and New Jersey. NC is definitely a great state. The beaches, as DMB stated, are great and in my opinion, the best on the East Coast. At the other end of the state are the mountains. While nothing like anything out West, there is some great hiking and wilderness areas.

I lived in Charlotte for two years recently. You can gig in Charlotte easily and get paid for it. I was one of 5 or so jazz bassists playing 5 nights a week. Average 3-hour restaurant/club gig is $100. In summer, you can double gig easily. Lots of weddings. Also, as Charlotte is becoming a financial center in the South (lots of banks have moved there), more restaurants, better cultural scene, etc.

I'd have to admit, though, that as a city, Charlotte pretty much sucks. It's in line to be the next Atlanta, traffic wise. It seems to have a lot of the problems of a big city, and none of the benefits. Despite what anyone says, there still is an element of racial b.s. Don't let me discourage you, though. For the reasons you mentioned, mainly cost-of-living, you can't beat it. I'm busting my ass in NYC to pay rent, and all my friends in Charlotte own houses, or have nice apartments and tons of gear!!!

One other benefit to living in North Carolina: Southern girls, Carolina style. Nothing could be finer...
  6. I know, I know, its really NOT that bad. I was half jesting. It does get pretty hot here though sometimes. This summer was tolerable, not nearly as bad as its been before. Its actually started to cool off finally.

I wish I could go down to Florida, hit up Bass Central and maybe the Keys.

On another note, do you happen to know a Junior in high school from Wilmington that just had a Roscoe built for him in the past year or so? Just curious.

To Mr. Fingers:

Let us know what kind of major you are wanting to study for, and we can help you out and show you what colleges in NC have what youre looking for.

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Snow shovel and snowblower sales are kinda down there.
  8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    From what I've been told 2" is a LOT of snow here...

9. Heh, in Wilmington that classifies as a blizzard.
  10. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Yes it is, but in '01, we got 27 inches overnight. Damn place was paralyzed.

11. YES. My friend moved there in December last year. When we left here, it was about 40 degrees and there was snow on the ground, when we got there it was like 65 and sunny. The weather is a huge factor too, I hate the winters around here and this year is probably gonna be a cold one.

Now, about college. I would love to go for music primarily. I was also thinking about something like psychology/philosophy/sociology, that kinda stuff. I see they have all of that (including a sh** load of music stuff) at the University of NC, I just want to know if their music program is any good.

For now, the only thing stopping me from making the move is that I don't wanna leave all my friends here, that would suck so much. But honestly, the pros outweigh the cons. So I think I'm probably gonna do it.

And Bassgeek, yes, I noticed the southern girls last time I was there. Just another good reason to make the move. And everyone is so much nicer in the south in general.
  12. The Eristic

The Eristic Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    UNC Greensboro has a pretty phenomenal School of Music (heck, it's a GREAT school all-around, but it tends to get overlooked because of the multiple famous schools in the state). The NC School of the Arts is just down the road in Winston-Salem, too (technically, W-S & GBO kinda melt into each other via "buffer" towns like Kernersville/Walkertown). Both towns are a couple hours from Charlotte, but they're a lot more relaxed and interesting. Charlotte is turning into ATL 2, like someone above already said.

Another neat NC thing is that it is becoming a mecca for boutique guys. Here's a list of some of the "names" (a lot of guitar stuff, but you get the idea):

Keith Roscoe and some guy that says he "works" for him :^|
    Acoustic Image
    Terry McInturff (building a guitar for me right now)
    Dave McNaught
    Ari Lehtela (he makes basses and guitars )
    Steve Carr (Carr Amps)
    Brian Gerhard (Top Hat Amps)
    Jon Payne
    LK Brown (All kinds of amazing stuff -
    Greg Germino (amps)
    Scott Splawn Guitars and Amps
    Swart Amps
    Auble Amps
    Wylie Effects
    Douglas Somervell (who builds classicals and does tons of work for Curbow)
    Patrick James Eggle
    John Buscarino
    Ryan Gadow
    David Finck
    Jack Coobs
    Matt Farrow (Pharaoh Amps)
    Jack Briggs
    Zion Guitars
    JS Bogdanovich
    Bob Gernandt (get your Celtic on)
    Simmons Guitars
    Evans Amps
    Brad Harper
    Bobby Wolfe
    Doug Hoffman Amps
    Headstrong Amps
    MojoTone (they build amps for Gibson and used to for Budda, if they don't currently - they build cabs for almost EVERYBODY, too)
    Lava Cable
    Omega Amps
    Mad Sound Cabs
    McIntyre Acoustic Pickups

I think all those shoud make up for Wish, right? :^|

PS: As a Western NC native, let me warn you ahead of time. Eastern barbecue sucks. (If there are any Raleigh people around, that should start one heck of a flame war.) :^D
  13. I know you didnt just diss our bbq. ITS ON!!!!!!

:D ;)
  14. The Eristic

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    Stamey's > you.
  15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA

I ate at Stamey's a few times (we have a few here in Greensboro)...I don't think it's better than much, honestly....

I prefer Memphis-style myself...

16. When I was down there last time I remember passing by (or through) Winston-Salem and it's a bit further then I'd like to travel. If I do move, I'm definately getting an apartment in a set location, so I want school to be as close as possible to there.
    BTW, the town I'm moving to is called Mooresville, AKA "Race City USA", to give you an idea of where I'll be. I'd rather not drive over an hour to WS for school, Charlotte is only like 20-30 minutes away if I remember correctly.
  17. The Eristic

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    They've slipped some lately (especially if you get there late), and I would've used Lexington #1, because it's usually the absolute best, but they don't have a website. Stamey's still beats the heck out of that nasty Eastern stuff, and their peach cobbler rules.

Btw, there is no barbecue other than NC barbecue, so I have no idea what you're talking about with this Memphis thing. :^p
  18. I tried to move to Chapel Hill years ago on a potential job offer. Probably the nicest place I've ever been! Not just Chapel Hill, but NC as a whole.

I wish I had the funds/balls to just pick up and move now. I would no doubt end up in NC.

Just my $.02!