1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Move up a gauge?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Wayne8, Mar 12, 2009.

1. I'm thinking about trying SIT Power Flats. They come in 45-100 and 50-105. My Jazz came with 45-100 strings and I don't want to have to get the nut filed. I've heard that bigger strings = more bass and that sounds good. I also hate the wimpy G strings I've had on all the 45's I've tried.

So, would 50-105 fit the slots that are cut for 45-100?

Thanks.

2. So, any opinions?

3. You should be fine as long as you aren't down tuning. The difference isn't enough to make a huge impact.

Other factors that come in to play are:

How hard you play.
    How deep your nut slots are.
    Approach Angle.

You will have to consider all of these when swapping out strings.

4. Thanks!

5. Actually, isn't going to 50-105 from 45-100 only going up half a gauge? I've heard people say to be careful with heavier strings on thin Jazz necks but going up this little bit shouldn't do any damage to the neck, right? I understand I'd have to adjust the relief, saddles, intonation. Just don't want to screw up my neck.

6. I think you will be fine, might have to wiggle the strings in but the nut should accommodate it.
    You may have to tweak the neck slightly for the heavier gauge.