1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Moved to 6 string, wrist is getting sore.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by tylerwylie, Nov 25, 2010.

1. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    My wrist is getting sore after moving to a 6 string, I'm keeping my wrist in pretty good positioning when I play. I don't have any 'shooting pain' or anything like that it's just getting sore, will this go away as my wrist and hands adjust to playing a 6 string? Are there any steps I can take between playing to improve the condition of my wrist?

Oh BTW this is on my fretting hand.

I'm loving having the range, and this bass just feels awesome. It's a MM Bongo 6 btw :) Pics:

[UNSET].

2. hoshbrown41

hoshbrown41

Jun 19, 2009
    didnt know mm made a six

3. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    pratice with the bass but not overdo let your body to adjust naturally otherwise you'll have a lesion

4. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Alright, will keep this in mind :)

5. pierreganseman

pierreganseman

Aug 23, 2008
    Brussels
    give time to your body to get used to it ;)

6. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    How would you guys tune this if it were to go Drop C, GCGCFA#, ACGCFA#, CGCFA#D#?

7. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Yes you will get used to it. Picked up the an Ibanez Sr506 a few months ago and have not looked back since. Awesome bass by the way.

8. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Do some hand and forearm stretches, pay attention to the thumb and wrist area. In the links there are a choice of exercises to choose from, you don't need them all so just target the ones that apply. Forearm stretches as shown in the video will help the wrist and also the elbow. Hope this helps, come back to me if you need any more help. Remember it takes time to adjust to a new instrument so don't over do it.

http://www.ergocise.com/wrists.html

9. personally, i would first try to play the frets, and not change the tuning. depending on the song type though you could possible tune a half step up, that way your still tuned to 4ths, and will still play like a regular tuned bass.

so that would be c,f,a#,d#,g#,c# it seems messy, but thats probably how i would do it. again i would prefer to use standard tunings if at all possible.

10. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Been doing the stretches, picking up the instrument for 15-30 min intervals a few times a day as well. Also realized I probably need to get a new strap, the neck on this thing is so heavy I realized my wrist is also probably sore from having to hold the thing up too. Any recommendations for straps for a 6 string? I probably want something that's wide and doesn't slip that easy.

11. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    Comfort strap is pretty good. Soft Neoprene, good support.

Just give yourself time to adjust. The muscle soreness will go away.

12. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    Gorinchem,The Netherlands
    Partner: Otentic Guitars
  13. Hey man,

Be very aware of the angle your wrist is at. It is very easy to contort your wrist on a 6 string bass which is what I did. Have your thumb pointing to the top of the neck and make sure your wrist is not bent. If it is you are asking for problems.

14. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Two words, floating thumb. YouTube it. It will save your wrist.

15. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    I picked it up and played a few riffs, I'm already pretty close to what's recommended here, my thumb stays under my index finger, and is pointed towards the top of the neck. Thanks for the link :). The only thing I really have to look at as far as this link is putting my thumb too flat against the neck and not keeping just the tip of the pad against it.

16. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    You're using muscles that aren't used to being used, take it easy on them.
    Nice bongo.

If it doesn;t improve in 1-2 weeks go see a doctor.

Stretch and don't over do it.

17. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Yea I'm stretching before and after. Thanks for the compliment on the Bongo. Now I want a 4 string to use with my band and just have that Drop C. :(

18. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Wrist is getting better, little stiff. Going to work on some wrist exercises and stretch next time I'm lifting (tomorrow morning).

19. Funkfaker

Funkfaker

Jan 4, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: CallowHill Guitars; Aguilar Amplification; MonoCases
    These tips are great. Especially that of the floating thumb. Leaves a lot of room for speed as well as alleviating pain.

Thanks ya'll.

20. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Yup, my wrist feels fine, just had to deal with the adjustment. Raising the guitar helped too with neck-diving.