1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Moved to 6 string, wrist is getting sore.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by tylerwylie, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    +1, also depends on how much you're playing/Gigging it....

2. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Well I'm learning a few songs that have some faster licks on the B and E string and this pain is coming back, from what it sounds like I probably need to stretch it some more and work it out some more as the pain feels almost like it's in my forearm instead of my wrist.

3. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    I'm gonna include an image of where it example seems to be affecting my hand. This is not any kind of sharp pain, rather it's a soft dull ache if anything.
    [​IMG]

The red marking is where it's more noticeable, the pink-salmon marking is noticeable but not nearly as much as the red marking.

4. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Just rest it for a few mins and drink plenty of water and eat balanced energy foods ( foods rich in fats, carbohydrate and proteins ) in small but regular amounts before during and after playing.
    The aches you state are natural and where they should be. They are caused by you asking the fingers to play faster/longer/demanding lines.

Because the muscle action you use is anaerobic (it does not require oxegen directly for its energy) its energy must come from another source, so the waste product must also be lost though another source.
    That source is the blood stream for both. The discomfort you should feel is like a burning sensation as a dull ache and tiredness as lactic acid builds up, leading to a form of cramps in the muscle. This will pass in minutes if the use is stopped to allow the lactic acid to be removed.
    Eventually after many times of this routine you will notice that the lenght of time you play increases and the need to stop lessens, till it is no longer an issue. This is why diet and water is vital because that is the source of the energy.

Remember when you practice you don't lose your breath, or your heart rate does not increase enough to give the muscle action its energy from aerobic ( by increase of oxegen to the body), you can use your hands and fingers for hours and not lose breath, so as said that energy must come via the bloodstream. Thats why warm ups and stretches are so good the increase the blood flow, so bring more energy, more blood means more warmth, and muacle like warmth.

Its all natural stuff that happens, but we can harness it better, if we already don't, to help out bodies cope.:)