Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Movie: Big Fish

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pigpen02, May 10, 2004.

1. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    Tim Burton flick w/ Ewan Macgregor, Devito, Steve Buscemi. I really really liked it, a good flick. Still processing, might watch it again. Anyone else seen it?

2. i dig it.

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I thought it was great, really loved the visuals and the "uplifting" nature of the story. OTOH my girlfriend didnt like it at all.

4. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Girlfriends?

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Just a typo - but...so many jokes that would incriminate me...best leave it at that!

6. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    :D

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I didn't care for it. Too sentimental, sappy, and no real point. The whole thing was supposed to be about father and son connecting, and I don't think they developed that part of the story enough.

I miss the days of Burton doing Pee Wee's Big Adventure and Edward Scissorhands.

8. I liked that movie. I want to go buy it soon.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    What Nick said.

10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    4.2 out of 5

nice story and imagery! the beggining was rather weak but it picks up later and gets you involved in the fantasy.

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i really enjoyed it - i thought it was tim burton's best work.

12. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    The poignancy of it was not really felt until the end...which makes for a good movie.

You are thinking all along that the father was the one not making any effort to relate to his son, when it was the son who was clueless. Of course he didn't realize that until it was too late.

13. one of my favorite movies is the nightmare before christmas. tim burton's work on "planet of the apes" and "big fish" was decent, but not to the level of his previous oddity.

i liked big fish well enough -- 3.5 out 5. but i was more excited, after the film, by the idea that it was written by a guy in birmingham, AL (a very cool city that i would've known nothing about had i not moved to the south) than that it was done by tim burton. i think he can do better, but he has been more restrained (some might say commercial) as of late.

robb.