Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Movie dialogue fun!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Birdy num num, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Birdy num num

Birdy num num

Feb 21, 2005
    This could be a hoot, or I could be committing TB suicide...

I've seen the "Song Game," wherein you take the last word of the previous song and mention a new one starting with said word. Hi jinks ensued. I've also seen a movie dialogue thread which garnered much joy here on TB. So let's combine them!

So what we'll do here is take a famous bit of dialogue from one actor, then use the actor he or she is speaking to and use one of their famous lines as your reply. For example, if the line is "You owe me MONEY!!" (George C. Scott in "The Hustler"), then you would deduce that the actor spoken to is Paul Newman and then you would reply with something like "Hell, the fall'll probably kill you" (Paul Newman in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid). Of course, that was spoken to Robert Redford and you would respond with something memorable he said, and so on. The key here is that the line must be spoken to an individual who's well known. Things like "Say hello to my little friend," though classic, wouldn't apply here, since it was uttered to some unfortunate individuals who probably didn't work again after "Scarface." Capisce??

Okay...here we go!!

"You're gonna need a bigger boat" (Roy Scheider in "Jaws")

2. Didn't Pacino himself say this?????

3. yes he said it, but who he was saying it to is key here

4. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Okay I'll play.

Robert Shaw's reply (from the movie The Sting)
    "Ya Follow?"

BTW, he said this short line to more than one character, including both Newman and Redford.

5. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    So then I could use Redford from Three Days of the Condor?

"What is it with you people? You think not getting caught in a lie is the same thing as telling the truth?"

So do I tell you who he's talking to or are you supposed to be enough of a movie buff to recognize the scene? I think it sounds pretty hard, especially if you stray into cool but obscure scenes. Are you sure this isn't just a plot to boost revenues at Blockbuster?

6. Birdy num num

Birdy num num

Feb 21, 2005
    Someone here will know the recipient of that line you offered and keep this thing going. But to answer your question, yes, it's part of the fun to come up with the addressee on one's own. Thanks for jumping in here!

7. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Correct Bard. Since I've gone I'll stay out of it, but as a hint the actor that Redford delivers the line to, although a star in the 50s and 60s, does appear in a recent action blockbuster and its sequel.

8. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    It's looking a bit too hard, I think.

Should we start modifying rules until the crowd shows up?

9. Birdy num num

Birdy num num

Feb 21, 2005
    I think if Leonard Maltin and Roger Ebert were regular TB'ers, this game could flourish. This, of course, is just not so. Though there are so many great lines in movies, I'm thinking that most of them could be attributed to just a few actors, so this game is doomed. I believe Cliff Robertson is the actor to whom Redford speaks the Bard's line in "Condor," but the only line I could think from him was from "Brainstorm," when he uttered, "You've just knocked my socks off." But, alas, he said it to an assembled group, so there's no suitable answer.

So, with great regret, I will now relegate Movie Dialogue Fun to the "Where are they now?" files.

10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I was really expecting someone to reply with Cliff Robertson saying: "With great power comes great responsibility."

Now is that one easy enough to run with?

And it's probably a good idea to put in your guess of to whom they are saying the line.

11. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Toby McGuire, right?

Ok..
    "Hot damn! I never rode in a convertible before!"

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    OT.