Movie Goofs.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I was watching "Bird", the one starring Forrest Whitaker (my fave), and there's a scene in the movie where Bird rushes the stage, and the bassist is playing a sunburst Music Man Stingray, and Bird died in 1954! :eek: Not only that, but it looked like the guitarist was playing an Ibanez!
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Stuff like that is hilarious! I saw a movie once set in the 50's, and the guitar and drums were authentic, but the bass player was playing a 3 knob Jazz!:D
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    That's nothing! In the movie Back to the Future, when Michael J. Fox is playing Johnny B. Goode, the bassist was playing a post-CBS Jazz!:D

(Well, maybe not, but it would be funny to take it to this extreme)
  4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    IIRC, I think I saw a Jazz Bass or two in The Buddy Holly Story.
  5. in the film Sid & Nancy, there's one scene where the Sex Pistols are playing live, and Sid throws his bass down on the stage to fight with someone.
    you can hear the bass keep playing though.........
  6. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    that doesnt really surprise me though. often since sid sucked so much at bass, not to mention most of the time he was so ripped he couldnt play even if he tried, they didn't have him plugged in, and instead played the bass from the record and stuff.
  7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    My Brother is really good at spotting goof-ups in movies, and he showed me this website thats devoted to that. Check it out.
  8. lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Watch Terminator 2, theirs tons of them.
  9. Check out the cars driving in the background in certain scenes in Lord of The Rings...or the ring that's there one minute, gone the next.

Isn't that what the Continuity person is supposed to be hired for? :D
  10. LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    I'm not sure about the Jazz Basses, but Buddy's Strat was a '70s model (big headstock).
  11. not to mention that in back to the future those solos would have been IMPOSSIBLE

i like the camera crew mistakes in almost all of Kevin Smiths movies (window in chasing amy, posters in Dogma, the one in JaSBSB was on purpose though to make fun of themselves...)
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

13. well i havent seen the movie in a few years... but i remember the sounds of a whammy bar in there and just the tone of the guitar didnt seem right for that time and that amp.
  14. I'm no great guitar expert. but a guitar playing friend of mine reckoned that the solo in the film wouldn't have been possible 'cos the strings of the day might not have been up to the job!! String technology has come a long way in nearly half a century!!

Don't know how factual this is, but it sounds plausible!!
  15. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    The guitar playing in Back to the Future is fine.

The guitar is the thing that is anachronistic. According to imdb, "In 1955 Marty plays a Gibson ES-355, a model which didn't exist until 1959."

p.s. Where in LOTR are there cars driving around in the background? Where is the ring there one moment and not the next? I haven't been able to find any info about this on any blooper sites.
  16. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    In the Happy Days series, the band used Shure SM-59 mics, which came out in the late '70s.
  17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    In "Jeepers Creepers" the rear of a car is rammed and the bumper is partially knocked off, then the bumper is like new.

The truck / motorcycle chase in Terminator 2 is a classic.
  18. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Like when the kid revs up his Honda XR80 to full throttle, doesn't let said throttle go and the bike shuts off anyway? Or when that same kid outruns Robert Patrick's semi-tractor with that same XR80? Or when Arnie jumps off the overpass on his HD Fatboy? Like a Harley's primitive suspension could handle that!