Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Movie: Open Water

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Juneau, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I went to go see this flick Saturday and I have to say I was pretty impressed with how frightening it really was. It is VERY low budget from what i could tell, both sound and video were of a poorer quality than Ive seen in a feature film before, but man, it scared the heck outta me.

I must admit, I do have a fear of open water to begin with, and the acting and plot werent exactly top knotch, but the situation was so scary it still kept me entertained.

Any other thoughts on it?

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    My thoughts on it and other small budget movies.

It sucks living in Jackson for this very reason, I think I have missed many a low-budget movie because they didn't ever come any of the local theaters.

1. Open Water
    2. Napolean Dynamite
    3. Some Kind of Monster
    4. The Pianist, though I recently saw this on Starz.

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I was actually suprised, it was on the biggest screen at the theatre I saw it at.

4. I caught it in Pasadena about a month ago when it was in limited release. I agree about the acting (some parts were pretty irritating and didn't do much to build my sympathy for the couple), but I also agree that the movie was well-done in the sense that it was pretty terrifying. Definitely worth the seven bucks.

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    how. the hell... can a movie with people FLOATING for 2 hours be scary?

What does the shark have to jump from out of?

NOTHING...

There is no way this can be scary.

6. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    That's exactly what I thought. I thought the same thing about that movie 'Phone Booth' or whatever it was called. I may end up seeing this though.

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well I should admit I already have a fear of open water, I hate not being able to see or know whats underneath me. And the sharks dont jump out of the water aside from a tail fin splash or a small ruccous from 2 or more tangling with each other.

It still was very frightening to me, seeing them lay back floating on the water and see a shark swin underneath them behind their heads just freaked me out. Like I said, the situation is what was scary, not the acting really hehe.

8. You're kidding, right?

You wouldn't be a bit freaked out if you were stranded in the middle of nowhere, with nothing to eat or drink, and a creature comes up from underneath you and could slice your body in half?

Maybe you don't know about Jaws, but it scared a generation of people out of the water.

Then there's the story of the USS Indianapolis (the ship that delivered the parts for the atomic bombs dropped on Japan)

9. try living in meridian! i have to drive to jackson to see a lot of movies -- and i grew up in a town about the size of jackson and had similar complaints at the time!

i did see the pianist at the northpark theater, though it was after it won the oscar. i'm sure it wasn't there first-run, but it did make an appearance.

robb.

10. Weve gotten all of those cept Open Water down here. Dont worry bout missin Napolean Dynamite, just another stupid MTV attempt at being a cult film. SKOM was Awesome, adn Pianist was cool . I dont think were gonna get open water, though id like to see it, i remember when that really happend, like 90 somethin wasnt it??

11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I am going to disagree with this. I loved Napolean Dynamite, I saw it twice and still found it entertaining. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing it a 3rd time. I've told all my friends about it and they've all seen it, they've all loved it and seen it twice. Some of THEIR friends have not enjoyed it, but I suppose that's personal taste.

I grimaced a little during the opening of the movie when it was made by MTV Film, I wondered if I had made a mistake. Happily, I had made the best decision ever and was thorouhgly entertained for the entire duration.

Is it low-budget? Yes; the movie relies heavily on its goofy characters and deadpan delivery, which is refreshing considering most of what passes for comedy nowadays involves lots of fart jokes, washed-up celebrity cameos and lots of shouting.

Though I concede it isn't for everyone; If you think gay jokes and potty humor is hilarious then you should probably check out "Without a Paddle". If you can't stand Wes Anderson (which I some people, for whatever reason, do) then you might have trouble with it. And, for some reason, people who are huge fans of Harry Potter, don't like Napoleon Dynamite...dunno why, they just don't.

I think it happened to the directors (who are also the actors?) and they based the movie off their experience.

12. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Actually, the couple that directed and produced the film just happen to be married and are open water certified divers. The film is only based on the situation really, not the actual couples lives it was based on. They decided not to follow the actual couples lives out of respect for their privacy and because it was not pertinent to the story.