1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Movie-"The Thing You Do"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Youngspanion, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Has anyone who has seen it remember the bass player towards the end of the movie, just before they went on TV. He was a replacement for the original charecter who decided to join the marines just in time for Nam.

That guy did a solo in the movie when they wanted to know if he could do the job. I caught the end of it (the solo) the other night.

Ever cop it?

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Larry Antonino. He worked with Al Jarreau, Michael McDonald, Jazz Crusaders, etc. (according to his bio).

Great flick.

3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Did anyone catch the joke in that movie about "the bass player"? Scroll down....

He didn't have a name. They just called him "the bass player", when the lead guy listed the people in the band when he was drunk, he skipped over him. In the credits, he's listed as T.B. Player. Kind of insulting and funny.

4. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I always wondered if the guy in the movie really played that solo. It looked like he did, but it could have been an actor who received coaching like the rest of the Wonders (Oneders). I actually figured that solo out. It's not that hard; mostly arpeggios and box pattern licks. I thought it was great that they included a bass solo in that movie. My only critcism is that the tone of the bass was to bright for the early 60's when the movie was set, even if it was played on a period correct P-Bass. I also liked how the nameless bass player for the Wonders graduates from a Danelectro to a shiny Fender Jazz Bass when they hit the big time. Apparently the actor who portrayed him (Ethan Embry) is actually a musician too.

So it was Larry Antonino. I wonder (no pun intended) if he played on the movie soundtack too? Marcus, where did you find this info?

- Steve

My web page

5. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Check out the guy's web site and listen to some tracks from his CD. He can really play! He's got a Marcus Miller/Wayman Tisdale sort of thing happening there. Check out his slick slapped solo on the tilte track; quite a bit more advanced than his solo from the movie. Apparently he's been the bass player for Air Supply for some time. Not exactly my favorite band, but at least they weren't one-hit-wonders (sorry).

- Steve

My web page

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Googled it. He's done some other character acting as well, also as a bassist.

The title song was written by another bassist, Adam Schlesinger, of the band "Fountains Of Wayne".

Okay, I guess we'd better stop talking about all these slabbers, before STRONGBOW blows a gasket.

7. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Good thinking. Here's some upright bass content regarding the same movie from imdb.com:

"The bass player in the all-female folk band during the talent show audition is Jennifer York, a morning helicopter traffic reporter for KTLA Channel Five in Los Angeles."

- Steve

My web page

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Don't forget that James Leary played the jazz bassist in the club, with "Del Paxton"'s group. The drummer was Alphonse Mouzon!

9. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    MMMMM....Jennifer York! That's prolly the most attractive upright bassist I've ever seen. :hyper:

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Pretty interesting character, too...not too many "female news personality/actress/helicopter traffic reporter/pro bassists" in the world!