Movie Theater Popcorn

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Nov 28, 2004.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I love movie theater popcorn. When I go grocery shopping, I like to buy the ultra-buttery "movie theater" microwave popcorn. It's always super yummy, with lots of butter.

I went to a movie on Thursday with the family and friends. Secretly, I am more excited for the real movie theater popcorn, instead of the pop at home stuff. I order my popcorn, and ask for alot of butter. I plop down in my seat and start eating. It tastes horrible. I can barely taste the butter. I'm not the complainer type, so I quietly eat it. The movie was OK, National Treasure, but I was greatly disappointed with my popcorn.

Why is it the pop-at-home "movie theater" popcorn is now better than the real thing??????

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Maybe they used a "healthy" oil instead of the usual 10-30??
  3. Because you eat the home popcorn alot more than you eat the movie theater popcorn.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA maybe my memories of buttery movie theater popcorn have been distorted by Orville?

Josh.....I wondered that. It did taste "healthy".

5. That's what I'm thinking.
  6. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    This is why I don't see movies in theaters anymore. Even the popcorn sucks now.
  7. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ooh, I've got a solution:

Before you go to the movie get some butter and melt it, put in in a tupperware container (or else a cup), and pour it all over your popcorn....

You know, instead of (or in addition to) those cheese powders that you can put on your popcorn at the theater, they should do it with butter. It'd be revolutionary: people who don't want butter don't have to get it, and people who do get it in the amount they want. Is it just me, or am I on to something?
  8. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have started looking at labels, and I am scared to know some of the stuff I eat. That said, I love kettle corn.
  9. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Buttered popcorn = poop
    Honey popcorn = the shiz'
  10. Yeah, I dunno, I'm sure all that butter on popcorn isn't healthy.

The reason movie popcorn tastes different is probably because they're cutting down on some certain ingredients to make it cheaper.
  11. You probably jus got a batch of popcorn made without enough oil or butter. Or it was just simply old.

At my theatre, we use coconut oil. It tastes good, and costs a little more than the last stuff we used, but it freezes up the lines all the time...very annoying.
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I hate it !! :mad:

It's almost as bad as people smoking - so, maybe because smoking is banned everywhere - people seem to get masses of popcorn and don't actually eat it - to me, it just smells like SWEAT - a really bad case of B.O. - that is all around the cinema, as people leave uneaten cartons all over the place.

I nearly walked out at the last cinema - as they had fixed seats and the smell where we were put, was overpowering - I moved and was told to move back - pointed out that there wer plenty of empty seats and then was told I could move, once the films had started! Great way to upset everybody!!

Needless to say I won't be going back there!! :rolleyes:
  13. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Welcome to 1980.

brad cook
  14. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Also, because a few years back (I don't know, maybe it was more than a few) there was a nationwide "expose" on how much fat is in movie theater butter. Turns out it was equal to a big mac or something. I don't remember exactly. Anyway...a lot of people stopped getting it added on top but also a lot of theaters went to "healthier" butter. That could be the case here.

brad cook
  15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Well, if the theaters have adjusted their recipe to make it healthier, no one has told the pop-at-home guys.

Maybe it was just old. Maybe I just had high expectations that the theater was never going to match. Either way, I'm going to try and smuggle in my microwave the next time I go to a film. went to a movie theater, and were offended by the popcorn smell?

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yup - it smells like stale sweat to me and people seem to buy huge buckets of it and spread it around where they sit - it's almost as unpleasant as cigarette smoke!! :rollno:

Usually, I tend to move if the smell is too bad - but this place had a policy of numbered, fixed seats - as I say I shan't go there again! :meh:
  17. Or perhaps you just got used to the movie popcorn that you made at home, so when you tasted the real thing it was a lot different so you didn't like it.
  18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

Yep...I think Orville has distorted my perception of reality. At least in relation to popcorn. :D

19. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I like popcorn. But im trying not to eat it because im already getting a belly :(
  20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA in the USA, popcorn smells like butter and salt. Must be a UK thing?