MoviePass: See a movie in a theater every day a month for $10/mo.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by OldDog52, Aug 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    Any tried this? You sign up for $9.95 a month. They send you a MasterCard debit card. You pick out the movie you want to see and they load the debit card with the ticket price of that movie. You can do this up to once a day for one month and the total cost is $9.95 for the entire month.

This is not a scam. No catches or gotchas except it's not valid for 3D or IMAX shows.

MoviePass - Watch New Movies in Theaters

This is how MoviePass plans to make money with a $10-a-month unlimited plan that seems too good to be true

Everything you ever wanted to know about MoviePass, the $10-a-month service that lets you see one movie per day in theaters

I'm very tempted to try it for a month.

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

no IMAX, no dice!
    I drive 45 minutes to get to the theater where they have IMAX
    I was actually in L.A. when they introduced IMAX & we watched a Stones concert.

3. geegeedemocracy

geegeedemocracy Inactive

Dec 11, 2016
    my friend has a huge home theater at his place. I don't go to the movies anymore.

4. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    That is a good deal for tickets, but the popcorn is still $8. I must have popcorns!

TolerancEJ likes this.
  5. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Well if you see 10 movies a month they cost you $1 each. What's not to like!

6. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I would definitely do it if I lived right beside the mall, like I did in Thailand for a year.
    Actually, I walked right past the mall to get to my workplace, very convenient place to live.

upload_2017-8-21_0-20-23.png

Now, it's either 5 miles into town to a crap theater, or 30 miles North to the real cinema :bored:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    At the rate i go to movies, it would take years for me to see 30 movies.

Now if i could get a $10.00 pass good for 30 movies with no expiration date...

MJ5150 likes this.
  8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If I had time to do this, I'd give it a run.

But I just don't have the time.

MJ5150 likes this.
  9. Inkdork

Inkdork

Jan 13, 2017
    Lancaster CA
    I was really considering this but I'm not in town often and town is 25 fees away from home. Also, I'm honestly not sure I would get much use of it even when I was in town.

But if I was closer to the theater? Oh yes!

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I got my card a last week. I’ve seen three movies so far. I have no complaints. I don’t see how this can last though. Or maybe how regular ticket sales can last if this takes off. I suppose the idea is most people don’t see a movie every day? Is that why theaters are participating at all? I don’t know. It would be nice if better movies were out.

MJ5150 and Son of Wobble like this.
  11. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    It says only 4 movies a month in the fine print. Still good deal though.

12. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    A friend of mine does movie reviews and uses it almost every day.

13. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Citation requested. :)

Edit 1: It says that right on their home page. News to me.

Edit 2: But their FAQ clearly says “As a MoviePass member, you can see up to one standard 2D film per calendar day.”

What does “Unlimited” Mean?

The iHeartRadio subscription bundle is new. Beware.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    MattZilla likes this.
  14. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    So, is it a movie a day or 4 movies a month?

15. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    Screenshot_2018-04-23-18-14-20.png

OldDog52 likes this.
  16. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    It's a subscription. Naw.

17. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Bogus!

Theaters are not directly involved with MoviePass. But because MP issues members a debit card to pay for the ticket, theaters can’t refuse to accept the debit card. But AMC Theaters has supposedly balked at accepting them.

Pinging my contacts in the movie exhibition business to see if they know. Will report back if I get useful information.

Edit: Apparently MoviePass did recently change the terms to limit it to 4 movies a month and with the iHearRadio bundle.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  18. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The terms of service and the rules and app are notoriously sketchy and unreliable. As of right now you can see a non 3D movie every day, including most AMC theaters, for now, for ten bucks a month. You can cancel any time. I’m not shilling for them, but as of now it’s a great deal if you see more than one movie a month.

19. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021