movies are going down the tubes

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Jul 1, 2005.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Movies have been losing money lately.

What's up with that?

The film industry is blaming it on DVD's (what with our surround-sound computers these days, and all that).

But, DVD's cost maybe thirty bucks, and movies only cost twenty.

Do y'all still go to see movies in actual theathers?

And buy the popcorn and Juji-Fruits and all that stuff?
  2. I still go occasionally, not as much as I would like, and that is simply because I enjoy as much Wife-only time as I can, you know?

When I'm there, I am always compelled to get at least a large drink. I bring in my own candy. Who needs to eat 3 boxes of candy in one movie anyway, let alone pay 12 bucks for it?
  3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I love going to see a movie on the big screen. There is just something about it that feels kinda nostalgic for me. I always buy a large drink and if I take my kids I will buy some popcorn. I never buy their candy though!

My earliest memory of going to movies was when the original Star Wars came out. WOW, what a movie! Ofcourse I was only seven years old but still. :D
  4. Well, nowadays a movie makes more money when it is released on DVD than in the Cinema. The studios aren't loosing any money, it's just that the Cinema's are getting less customers.
    DVD's are getting released sooner and sooner, it used to be at least 6 months before a film was released on DVD, now down to 3. There's a couple of films that will be released for TV, DVD and the Cinemas at the same time coming up. The Industry is changing and who knows, maybe the time of the Movie Theatre is a coming to close.
  5. I'm still a fan of going to the theatre, but only if the movie is worth watching! Given the choice of watching a classic at home or watching some new garbage on the big screen, the choice is always clear for me.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Most of the time i just go every 4 to 5 years when a Star Trek Film comes out. I wont pay $10 for a soda and popcorn so i sometimes bring some candy with me.
  7. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think movie theaters are great, but they are charging insane prices for everything. I remember when a thater around the area broke their soda machine, so they went across the street to buy a bunch of 2-liters of soda. Then they would pour you out a soda from a 2 liter they just bought for less than a dollar, then charge you 3.75. I don't bother going to the movies much unless the movie really warrants it.
  8. the movie industry blames everyone but themselves...if you ask me, nobody is going to movies because they really haven't come out with anything that really merits paying 20 dollars to see. the last movie i saw in theatres was hitchikers guide to the galaxy, but i don't even remember the last movie i saw before that. plus the movie theatres really don't help the cause by making you pay 10 dollars for a medium popcorn and a medium drink.
  9. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    It's not the prices that bother me. It's the quality of the movies. Movies just seem to have lost their soul. How many true classics have come out of the 90's/00's? Very very few.
  10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Well, classics are generally older. The term itself is used rather loosely anyway. I studied American cinema and really, the crap to classic ratio back then is about the same.

I go to the movies to get the full Dolby surround experience of movies I am interested in. It's all about the immersion for me.
  11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I go to the small/art house theaters because they're the ones that have the movies that are worth seeing and I don't mind paying $8 if it's to support the Avon or something, they also offer student discounts on certain days.

I rarely go to the cineplexes, occasionally I sneak in, or get a pack of those AAA ticket books.
  12. Yeah, we had a really excellent small art-house cinema in Worcester, MA called the Bijou, that I frequented. They did it right. It was a tad low on amenities (considering the budget they had, it was better than good tho) by way of surround this or THX that, but had 3 screens, always played a great combo of art-house / Sundance / Classics, had an eat-in restaurant that also brought into the theaters, and had live music all the time.

Sadly, they closed as the mall they leased from is currently being torn down.

They are looking for a new venue. Even sadder still, National Amusements has a PERFECT, smaller 2 screen cinema with large foyer / seating area in Worcester that they closed down like 8 years ago, and they refuse to let another movie theater operate there.
  13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    The compagnies themself blame it on the fact that people download their movies instead of going to the theater.

I blame it on the fact that maybe 10% of the movie output nowadays (I'm talking about commercial movies, little arthouse kind of stuff is different) is worth watching, and 5% is worth paying $10 for it.

Seriously, how many more J.LO disasters will they make before they understand it?
  14. What's ironic is the industry banks on DVD sales to boost overall profitability, yet woe when a movie bombs.
  15. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Yeah, that's dumb. Give me a choice of watching and listening to high quality video and sound over a hugely compressed video I dled over the internet and I know what I'll pick even if it does cost more money. But the movie has to be worth buying. I've dled movies before, but they were all unobtainable in the US market.
  16. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I love the experience. I've been so busy with school the last few months I haven't gone as much as I wanted, which is usually 2 or 3 times a month.

Even if it's a mostly crappy movie, I'll still enjoy the fact I'm in a theatre. But, I'm also blessed with an awesome art house theatre here. Anyone know anything about Murderball? I just saw it on the marquee, but I don't know anything about it.
  17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    IT COSTS 20 DOLLARS TO GO TO THE MOVIES?!?!?!?!?!? That's so expensive. Around here it's 8... unless you are refering to with a date plus a popcorn or something... still.

It is a good time, but there really are few modern movies I want to see...
  18. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

It's the movie quality. I see the movie industry going the same route as the music industry. They just churn out whatever they think will sell, without regard to quality. They'll hype up the movie so that you think it'll be good and when you see the movie, it completely lacks a coherent plot.

I don't like going to the movie theater anymore. I much prefer viewing from home. Movie rentals are cheap and everyone can view the same movie for the same low price. I don't have to wait in line to buy a ticket. I don't have to deal with annoying people who talk during the movie (especially the idiots that feel its necessary to talk on the phone). I can provide my own snacks/drinks at significantly lower prices. I can pause the movie to go take a leak if I need to. I don't have to sit through 30 minutes of previews for movies I don't want to see or commercials for Coke, Cingular Wireless or Fandango. etc.

19. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I almost always prefer to watch movies at home these days, but my wife likes going to the theaters so we do a bit of both. Every time we go out, I know I pay more for our two tickets than I'd pay to buy the DVD in a few months. Then consider the ridiculous cost of refreshments, the routine distractions in a crowded theater (people talking, cell phones, etc.) and the fact that virtually all theaters now force you to sit through ten minutes of commercials before you even get to the previews. That pisses me off in a big way. Finally, there's the not-yet-watched pile of DVDs on top of my TV, which continues to grow because my wife always falls asleep when we watch movies at home.

Plus, the most striking quality of most movies these days is their utter lack of an original idea. All the big studios want to do is remake old movies (War of the Worlds, Pink Panther) or old TV shows (Bewitched, Dukes of Hazzard, the Honeymooners, Charlie's Angels, Starsky and Hutch, etc.) The only movies I want to see in a theater are widescreen blockbusters like Lord of the Rings and the occasional art-house flick, unless it's one of those increasingly rare occasions when something comes out where I just can't wait for the DVD. That used to happen several times a year, but now almost never. Sin City was the last one like that for me -- great cast, great director, completely original look and feel, and it tanked at the box office. I'm sure it'll do well on DVD, but most movies that come out these days have no reason for being except that some cynical bottom-line oriented moron at a studio says, "Hey, let's remake (fill in the blank) with (big-name actress) or (ex-SNL cast member) or (musician/actor). That'll be huge!

Ugh. :spit:
  20. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    +1, Well said, The Movie industry is taking the playbook from the Recording industry a few years back. I don't download movies or music, but I'm going to fewer and fewer movies and buying (WAY!!!) fewer CDs from major labels and local music stores. I'm still buying a LOT of CDs, just getting more and more of them from the actual artist or specialty online sellers. Short of Disney (the wife's obsession) I think the only DVDs I've bought in the past few years have been the LOTR trillogy, but I'm waiting for the new Star Wars Inevetable Special Edition Extra-Heavy Duty Remastered Once Again box Set.