Movies for musicians that like movies...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hategear, May 10, 2002.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I'd like some names of movies that musicians just have to see. I'll get us started with some obvious ones:

That Thing You Do
    This Is Spinal Tap
    Rock Star

2. The Blues Brothers
    The Blues Brothers 2000
    Yellow Submarine The Beatles
    The Wall Pink Floyd
    The Doors
  3. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    The Commitments - most honest depiction of life in a band at the bottom rung IMHO

Rock and Roll High School - I love it in spite of or perhaps because of its unabashed kitschyness
  4. There's a French film called "Subway". I believe it's called Metro or Le Metro in French. Part of the plot is about a guy who wants to start a band, but anyway, there's a cool scene where this bass player is slapping away on his bass in the middle of a party.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There was a movie on HBO a long time ago called Thunder Alley. I saw it one time by chance, and have been wanting to see it again ever since.:(
  6. "Almost Famous" Basically a less satirical "Spinal Tap".
  7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Has anyone else ever seen "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Fabulous Stains"?

Great movie about an all female rock / punk band. The best line (from the bandstand):

"We are the Stains, and we don't put out."
  8. The Commitments.
    Hard Core Logo.

All the others mentioned too. The longer I spend in this business the more like Spinal Tap it gets. The Tap should be required watching for anyone who wants to get into rock n' roll.....:D
  9. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i was thinking last action hero...for the rock and roll types...
  10. g.a.p

Apr 9, 2002
    pink floyd at pompei features them playing live and snippets of dark side of the moon being recorded. it really shows the change in style they made. a really great movie!
  11. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    "A Clockwork Orange"-Great classical score by Ludwig Van and others.
    "Lost Highway"-Fantastic soundtrack featuring tunes from Bowie to NIN to Antonio Carlos Jobim. It also features wife-slayer of the week(Robert Blake) as Satan. "I'm home right now...CALL ME!!!"
  12. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yea for Blues Brothers! Woohoo...I have nothing further here to add...
  13. Empire Records is another good one.

Tommy The Who

Spice World
    Josie and the Pussycats

*runs away giggling*
  14. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    "Hedwig and the Angry Inch"
    "Gimme Shelter"
    "Hillary & Jackie"
    "Lisbon Story"
    "Fabulous Baker Boys"
    "Let's Get Lost"
  15. <B>Hair.</B>
    Wonderfull funk throughout the whole movie! Great bassplayer too.
  16. I'd say:

Mo'Better Blues-cuz it REALLY got me into Jazz

Crossroads-got me into Blues

Rock Star-Becasue my Frat brother is Zakk Wylde's roadie and was in the movie
  17. High Fidelity.
    A Hard Day's Night.

There's another movie that the title escapes me, but maybe one of y'all have seen it. Kind of a low-budget indepenent flick about a struggling band in North Carolina named "Circus Monkey", and shows how the band started out, got signed, and went on tour. Sort of a "That Thing You Do" without Tom Hanks or the big budget. It reminds me of every band I've ever been in. If someone else can help me with the title, I'd appreciate it.
  18. Check out "Sweet and Lowdown" with Sean Penn as a fictional legendary jazz guitarist. Not only is it an entertaining movie, but the guitar playing (courtesy of Howard Alden) is exceptional.
  19. Crossroads. :D

Legend of 1900. If you haven't seen this one, go and get it now. It's got an amazing piano score and it's a great movie.