Movies from your childhood

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Hobbes, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Just wondering what everyone's favourite films when they were growing up were.

For me, apart from the obvious (Star Wars), I'd have to list Condor Man and BMX Bandits as my favourites.
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well some of the more "stylistic" movies that I liked as a kid were Thrashin' (remember how cheesy that was?), RAD, Gleaming the Cube (how could a young skater not like a movie with the entire Bones Brigade and others skating as extras?), all the James Bond movies, Star Wars, Big Trouble in Little China, all the kung fu movies they used to show Saturday mornings on Kung Fu Theater, and that's about all I can think of now. Oh yeah, all those Conan movies and The Beastmaster and anything like that. I used to eat that cheesy crap up.

brad cook
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The Goonies
    Time Bandits
    The Dark Crystal
    Raiders Of The Lost Ark

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The Sandlot
    Heavy Weights
  5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    aliens, even though i never got to see it in the theaters.
  6. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA

What a great movie!

Also, the Disney animated Robin Hood from way back when was always one of my favorites. Still is. The songs in that movie are great.

I also remember watching The Party with Peter Sellers often with my grandparents. Funny stuff.
  7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Tarzan movies, the Johnny Weissmuller ones.
  8. Fast Times at Ridgemont High

That movie should be shown to future generations who want to know what the 80s were like.
  9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Yeah, that one...

Breakfast Club,
    Pretty in Pink,
    Gleaming the Cube,
    Pump up the Volume,
    Sixteen Candles,
    Better off Dead,
    One Crazy Summer

were all cool back in the day.

Slater and Cusack were 2 guys I thought were pretty cool in the 80s. I found myself giving the nod to Lloyd Dober after seeing "Say Anything".... my all time favorite movie, just because the way it hit me at the time it was released.
  10. I've just remembered another one, American Flyers!
  11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    The Sandlot
    Ninja Turtles (1, 2, 3)
    Batman and Batman Returns
    Although I was born 4 years after RotJ came out, Star Wars on VHS was my bread and butter as a child.
  12. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    OH yeah, man. I loved all of those! Except Time Bandits scared the crap outta me when his parents touched the rock and disappeared in the end.

brad cook
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    "A backflip! Hulk Hogan eat your heart out!"
  14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

Transformers, Demolition Man, Mighty Orbots (haha! Still hardercorer and undergrounder!), Macron 1, Voltron, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and so on.

Basically, if those 80's nostalgia bastards are glomming onto it for hipster value, I actuall DID love them to death, and probably still do. Damn hipsters trivializing my childhood.
  15. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Yup. As-well-as G.I. Joe, Star Wars (A New Hope for the most part), and My Side of the Mountain (I remember reading the book quite a bit, too.)
  16. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    While I never really put down the G.I. Joe toys, I never really saw the cartoons enough for it to matter. I saw the movie I think once, and a couple of collections of episodes, but I was removed from the general viewing schedule. Being in a backwater town in Alaska with one channel (RATnet, later ARC Rurual) that was notorious for it's random schedules made it impossible for me to regularly watch most cartoons, and since I was 50 miles from the nearest theater, it was also nigh but impossible to see movies. Hell, to know there were movies of G.I. Joe to be had, y'know?

I relied mostly on friends who were more spoiled than me to borrow the VHS when it came out.
  17. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    "Mother, Jugs, and Speed"

The " Herbie the Love Bug"
  18. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    wait, there was a voltron movie!?! :eek:
  19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    We didn't have cable when I was little, so I had to watch the same couple of movies copied off of a friend of my parent's TV.
    So I basically saw these movies literally at least a thousand times each.
    Charile and the Chocolate Factory
    Peter No-tail
    The Secret of NIMH
    Clash Of The Titans
    The Dark Crystal
    Godzilla vs. Megadon (I think)
    Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas

When I got a little older (10-13), there were a few movies I rented constantly, including
    Gleaming the Cube
    Return of the Jedi
    and Ernest Goes to Camp
  20. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Nightmare on Elm Street 1-6 (not including nr. 5)