Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

movin on up....but with a few questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoeRules00, Oct 31, 2002.

1. I'm finally getting some cash to replace my Crate BX100. I'm looking in the 400 watt territory, and I'm more or less decided I want some form of 410 cab in there.

I've been talking over an Ampeg 4x10 for sale thats in the TB FS forums. Seems like a good deal, but then I came across

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...7254290/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/482027/

this.

It may be a tad bit overkill, but I'm a youngin' so I can handle the heavy lifting. I'm just wondering the advantages and disadvantages of buying cabs and head from different places, it just seems like it'd be easier to go for something like the above link.

Also, I need a reminder. A cab is lets say 8ohms. That means it can't handle 4 or 2 ohms, correct? And the more ohms, the more resistance, so the less overall power the head can use?

Thanks!

2. rickycootee

rickycootee

Oct 24, 2001
    Statesboro GA
    well it depends on what venues you are playing an 8x10 cab will definately give you more sound but if you only will ever use a 4x10 why not save the money for a better amp (maybe go pro series amp instead of working man amp the pro series sounds so much better than the wm series IMHO) anyway
    about ohms...if the cab is 8 ohms you need to get an amp that can handle 8 ohm loads (which any head Ive seen can)...The cab can be any ohmage just make sure the amp you get can run at that load, but the low impedence(resistance which is measured in ohms) the more power you can get from your amp...I'm actually in the same postion you are I'm think I'm getting a 4 ohm4x10 with and ampeg rack head..I really don't need anything bigger because I'm running direct into a pa with 4 18' subs oh yeah serious bottom
    did that answer you question?

3. I get what you're saying. Which leads me to the other question I meant to ask.

If I go with the used gear, what kind of head should I look in to? Should I also look into a 1x15, or will the 4x10 be able to give me the low end I want? (4 stringer, currently, but I'm hoping to add a Lakland 55-01 to the collection soon)

4. rickycootee

rickycootee

Oct 24, 2001
    Statesboro GA
    well that depends on what kind of tone you want..15' are alot more mellow and not as defined as a 10 when used alone however, you said you were thinking about adding a five string...5 strings sound fuller with a 15 or bigger but at the same time muddy .if you only have a 4 right now I would go with the 4x10 or maybe a 2x10 and add a 15 later right before you get your 5, but most 10s do not handle 5 strings very (well unless it is an acme or extended low range cab like that one ampeg makes that goes to like 25 hz)..if it were me I would go with the 4 or 2 10 for definition and add the 15 later, however when running 2 cabs if both cabs are 4 ohm you need an amp stable down to 2 ohms or if you have 8 ohm cabs you need an amp stable to 4 ohms as for what brand of head thats up to you...I personally prefer the ampeg type sound to swr because it doesn't get lost in the mix as easily..I play everything from punk to worship music

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Eden WT-400 and D-410XST. You'll never need to spend any more money on a rig. Forget the 810. It's just too dumb.

6. I've heard conflicting things, can an Eden produce a good general rock sound (alternative, metal, classic, etc.)?

7. I'm with Munji on the 8x10. In this day and age why would you want to? If you're not giggin' pro that 8x10 is overkill. Your statement about being young and able... well, someday that will come back to haunt you and it won't be fun.

Stick to your plan. The 400watt range with a 2x10 or a couple of 1x12's will be killer (and more than enough).

8. I would never pay $1400 for gear that I'm probably gonna replace later. If your into SWR stuff, get the non workingman's series stuff, and maybe a 4x10 instead of an 8x10.

Also, I never really liked the idea of having to do a small gig and having to lug the whole rig, so you're probably better off with multiple small cabs.

What I say is get a good quality, high powered amp and a single good quality 4x10, to your likes. Quality over quantity.

9. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Absolutely. The guy in Foo fighters uses them, the guy for Alanis Morrisette uses them, hell everyone uses them. They barely color the sound of your bass, but on the other hand the EQ is VERY powerful if you need it...I run it flat with Fender and Zon basses, but cut the highs a tad and boost the mids for MTD's.

The wt400+ is small, powerful, and so smooth.

I would disagree wtih munji on one thing though. Get the D210XLT along with a D115XLT so you can have more flexibility with the two cabs. One for small gigs, and the two of them for large clubs/stages.

My sound (with a 5-string bass) is definitately NOT muddy with the addition of the D115XLT.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Actually, we agree on that. However, I'd also get a 410XLT or XST, because six 10's give more and better sound than two or four 10's with a 15. The 115 + 210 rig gives a full, jazzy range of tones, but just can't produce the volume of clean tone that six 10's will. See below.

[​IMG]

11. OK, I'm thinking going with (for right now) the WT400 and the Eden 410. How much should I expect to pay for them (I'm definitely aiming to buy used)?

12. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Hmmm...my D115XLT has a horn...maybe that is why the system sounds tight enough for me :D

13. ingmar

ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    I had this setup in SWR (Goliath JR3, Son of Bertha) with tweeters in both cabs, nowhere close as tight as my new EBS 4x10", and no bottom-end loss audible either! Just the muddiness disappeared :D