1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Moving a Doublebass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by lmfreeman9, Oct 3, 2010.

1. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I am a bass guitarist and I turned on my adult daughter to Christian McBride. She wanted a doublebass as a set piece to decorate her house and I found her a non-playable but affortable 3/4 plywood bass. She loves it, but now she is moving cross country.

I would appreciate any ideas for moving this monster safely and for a reasonable price.

2. Bass for decoration...
    :spit:

But if you must--get a cheap case for it, put it in the back of a pickup or in a U-Haul, surround it with boxes and make sure it's immobile.

If it's not something she'll ever play it doesn't need any special accommodations.

3. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Just toss it or sell it and pick up the equivalent on CL at the destination. Either way, it will be cheaper in the end.

4. This might not be very practical advice but when I moved to Ottawa we shipped all of our belongings via a shipping company including our car. So I put my bass in the car and drove it into the moving van. The next morning I flew to Ottawa and waited for the movers to arrive :)

5. If you wanna truck it, you might call Kagan and Gaines or Sonksen Strings since you're in Chicago.. They usually have beefed up cardboard bass crates they like to get rid of that basses were sent to them in.
    I'll tell Christian that he's now an interior decorating inspiration. :eek:

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    She's just saying it's a decoration, so you won't know that she joined the dark side. Look for telltale clues. Is there rosin on the strings? A huge duffel bag under her bed? Front passenger seat folded all the way back in her car?

:D

7. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    :D

8. Chances are I'll be moving cross country with a bass I actually play in a couple months. If I can't find a carboard container made for this purpose, any other suggestions for packing a bass well, short of dropping $2k or more on a flight case?

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021