Moving away from 810 setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CaptainHueso, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Hey guys. I've been using an SWR Megoliath 810 for a little under a year now, and while I love the tone and power I get out of it, it is just too damned big. I dont have a truck, nor do any other members of my band, so I always have to find someone to help me with their vehicle and help me move it which is really inconvenient. I was considering selling it and moving to a 410+118 setup. It would be more portable and probably louder. At smaller gigs I could just use the 410, because 8 10's is just too much for small indoor bar shows. Is it a wise decision to sell the rig and get something different? I'm hoping to get around 600 for the cabinet, which is less than half of its new price, and it is still in wonderful condition. That would get me near the cost of the new rig.
  2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Never owned (or even tried) a Bergantino NV610 but there has been much discussion about them lately here on TB. There is, in fact, a discussion thread underway as we speak on this forum. Might be what you're looking for. 6x10s and about 95 lbs.
  3. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Second the Berg NV610 idea. It is less than 100 lbs, easy to move, and sounds WAY better than anything SWR makes.
  4. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    How big do you want your new cab to be?

A 410 or 212 might be enough for you. Also how much money do you have to spend, just the $600 from the sale of your cab or is there more saved up?
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Let this be a lesson to all you guys out there who think an 810 is the way to go. It'll get old REAL quick.
  6. relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    Look at the Schroeder 31012 or 410. Either one will handle more power than the Megoliath, probably sound better, and they are a lot smaller too (in other words you won't need the 18").
  7. The 600 would only be a starting budget, and I plan to spend more money than just that. I'm hoping to find a cabinet that will last me many many years. So I see it as an investment
  8. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Check out the Schroeder cabs, there seems to be one to suit every player. Better yet, call Jorg Schroeder himself and talk to him about your needs. I went away from a 2 4x10 cabs and now use 1 or 2 small cabs (1212 and 1210). I get the just about the same performance without the bulk or weight. As far as the Berg that was mentioned earlier in the thread, it is so different than what you were playing I don't see why it was recomended as a replacement for a high fi cab.
  9. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    2 GK NEO 2x12's seems to work pretty well form me.Loud as heck with alot of lowend and only 60lbs. each....
  10. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Yea, ditch the fridge. There are plenty of other options out there. If your looking for something long term go with quality, and don't be afraid to go with a high quality 4x10 or something else with some size and add to it later. Good cab's aren't cheap as you know, but over the long haul, I think they're worth it!!
  11. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I can see if you're like this guy an 810 wouldn't be too great of an idea, with no way to transport it. I love my 8x10 though and I will defend them forever (or until my back stops lifting). In fact, I'm going to buy another 8x10 just to kick around the old house. If you've got a way to transport them properly (like a trailer), then they're fine.
  12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If you really, really like the 810 tone, you might want to consider two 410's, just take one to smaller gigs, take both to larger ones when needed.

Going to 410 + 118 will be a DRASTICALLY different tone, not necessarily "better", but definitely different.
  13. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Note: two 4x10's may or may not give you the tone you get with the 8x10. That's how I started. I bought one 4ohm 4x10 and then I found a great deal on an 8ohm, so then I sold the 4ohm and bought another 8ohm, so then I used the two 4's for about 5-6 months gigging heavily. I definitely liked my tone at the time, but when I had a chance to borrow someone's 8x10 (all of these were ampeg btw) it was just so much warmer and deeper sounding. The ampeg 8x10 are physically deeper than the 4x10's, not sure if this is what helped the sound or not, but anyway... I went ahead and finally got an 8x10.

But I do agree the 4x10's are good. In my 1992 Maxima I used to fit both 4x10 cabs in my back seat (one had to be angled), and then I fit my 6 space rack + two hard shell bass cases in my trunk. So I had my seat and a passenger could ride along. Not bad for a little car :)
  14. Do you have a car? If you have a car and the 8x10 won't fit, try sticking in 2 4x10 cabs? Or a Schroeder cab (or call Jorg)?

Personally, I can't fit 2 4x10 cabs in my car (I can fit my 2x10 in the trunk and my 1x15 in the back seat), so size is a issue. If you go scouting out cabs make size, weight and how you will transport them part of your check list,... right up there with tone and volume.
  15. A question for everyone - if you have a car (or thinking of buying one), Do you size out your bass cabs to make sure they will fit?

Do you make your car fit your cabs or your cabs fit your car?
  16. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Oh, definitely the former...I've been driving minvans since the mid 80's... :D
  17. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    YEARS ago I was able to stick my Ampeg 810 in the back of my Camaro (seats down and trunck lid bungeed down). Then I sold that car and the Ampeg had to go. As much as I loved the cabinet, I couldn't let it dictate my automobile purchase (at the time).

Many years and many cabinets later, I ended up with a Schroeder 410, which for me has proven to be the closest thing to an 810 in a smaller single cabinet package.
  18. unless it's a Mesa, right?! :bag: :p
  19. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Two Goliath IIIs 4x10s. Same tone more options. The Sr. has a roll off of the bass that makes it a loud cab but will not go as deep as the IIIs.
    Saw a young man buy a nearly mint Acoustic 360 for $500.00 that was only missing one knob. A half an hour later we noticed he was trying get it in a Nissan Maxima, back seat no, trunk way no.
    Don't get mislead though by the fellows who get incredible performance out of these small boutique rigs. They do! But the effect isn't the same as 8 10"s with an amp with a big power supply. So one day you will have both.
  20. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    When I buy my car in the next few months, I'm definately going to make sure that it can carry my cab, bass and rack.