1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Moving away from a 1x15 and getting RS cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lovefist, Aug 6, 2012.

1. lovefist

lovefist

Mar 27, 2008
    So I sold my old Carvin 1x15 and PB500. Tonight before practice I'm picking up a Aguilar TH500 that this guitarist owns and never used since his funk band never came together I guess. My question is with a head like this (Class D) would it be a good bet to use a small cab? I have a friend who wants to sell me a RS210 and I like the sound of that cab plus the price point. My next goal is to sell my Eden XLT and maybe pick up an RS212 with the 210.

Would a 212/210 rig match the 1x15 in lows?

2. Might even be better, speaker size has no bearing on how low a cabinet can go.

The thing about cabs is you have to be realistic. A 210 is only going to get so loud, regardless of power rating.

3. lovefist

lovefist

Mar 27, 2008
    Well I will have my mitts on a the 2x10 this week, not sure if I have the cheddar for the RS212 unless I sell my 410xlt (8ohms). I wouldn't mind finding out what the 210/212 together is like from people.

4. I have a feeling you're going to miss your old Carvin 115 cab.

5. Sounds like great words of wisdom.

I think a lot of it's also going to be based on your needs and expectations (they call me Captain Obvious)

I've run various RS210/212 mix-match setups; 1 x RS210, 1 x RS212, 1 x RS210 + 1 x RS212, 2 x RS210, 2 x RS212, 2 x RS210 + 1 x RS212, and 1 RS210 + 2 x RS212. I never had occasion to to run 3 of each. In my experience, and based on my needs/expectations, I found that a single RS210 didn't satisfy me. I can't give you any great breadth of comparative experience...I just don't have it. What I can tell you is that I have two band situations, both are classic & modern rock covers. One has an always hard hitting drummer and guitarist who likes it loud, and the other is more restrained in terms of levels. I felt that while a single RS210 could sound any way you want to EQ it at lower levels, with the louder band, it seemed to "thin out" at higher volumes and feel strained and lacking foundation. The RS212 is simply more capable it terms of volume and a fat feeling at higher volumes.

What I experienced with a single RS210 in my circumstances my be heard by someone else as "tight" and "mid-focused" by someone else.

edit note: In the evolution of my gear, I've sold the RS cabinets off down to just one RS212. That gets most of what I need done. I don't need two of them (I have options in either direction) and given the choice of leaving the house with a RS210 or RS212, I almost always found myself grabbing a 212.

6. +1

IF I had to choose a double cab RS rig it would be two RS212's stacked vertically.

7. lovefist

lovefist

Mar 27, 2008
    Hmmmmm If only I could find one here. I think one 2x12 would be great with my TH500 and if I need another cab I can buy another RS212

8. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    For what it's worth, two ten's have nearly the same size speaker area as one fifteen does. Given two cabs from the same line, performance is usually nearly identical. I know that's not the case here but it's a good rule of thumb. A 212 has more speaker area than either the 210 or 115 will and should be capable of a little bit more overall volume than either. As noted, speaker size has little to do with low end though.

That's a great idea!

9. lovefist

lovefist

Mar 27, 2008
    Opted to get a new RS210 for a deal, but I'm playing on adding a 212

10. Cool. A lot of people like the RS210/RS212 combo. A positive; you'll also have the option of bringing the best single for a given gig.