Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moving away, need to downside rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iplaybass, Nov 27, 2002.

1. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I'll be going to college in 8 months or so, and I need to downsize the rig so that it will fit in a tiny college dorm. I was thinking about selling my 2x10 and 2x12 and getting a single Eden 2x10XST to go with my SWR-SM400S. Any other ideas? Any of you college kids have any suggestions about this process?

2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I know its 8 months away, but I could still use some answers... anybody?:D

3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Well Im a fan of the bergantino 112 a pair is tiny, versitile and Punchy!

AJ

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Can't you just store the 2x12 and take the head and the 2x10 cab with you?

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i'm all for the pair of 1x12's too. easily stacks into a corner of a dorm room, and is still loud enough to shake the floor down... :D

6. RevGroove's suggestion is by far the cheapest and most sensible!

7. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I could, but the 2x10 doesn't cover my B to my satisfaction, and I'm quite a perfectionist. I think its coming down to either the stack of 12's or the Eden 2x10XST. Can you compare these two options?

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    havent tried the XST, but a pair of 1x12's could prolly compete with a 4x10 box. but that's just me. other's have said no. but it'll def be louder than the XST.

9. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
  10. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Personally, I don't think Eden is going to help you with Bottom end...why not store the 2x10s and take the 2x12's then?

11. I'd go with a pair of 1x12s.

In my time in college, I've gone through too damned much amplification equipment trying to find the balance between weight and tone. I think I'm finally at a satisfying point right now with my EBS Fafner head and pair of Aguilar GS112 cabinets.

Might I also recommend that you sell your SM400S and pick up something on the order of a WT-400 or Mesa WalkAbout? Having two small cabinets and a small head that can be put in a carrying bag (I use an Acoustic Image Clarus for that) gives you the advantage of taking only one to low-volume gigs, and if you can take all of the equipment necessary to play such shows in one walking trip, so much the better. I happen to live on a steep hill that makes walking any distance with gear a complete PITA, but when your parking spot is 500 yards from the loading door it does help.

12. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I'm beginning to think I will go with a pair of 12's. Will this set-up be as loud as my current rig? I assume not, but I would still like to know, relatively, what kind of a volume hit I'll be taking. Peter- From what I've heard, I would probably like the Eden much better than the SWR... I'm a big fan of the low-mid bump and I like warm and fat tone over crystal clear. Its more a cost issue, I don't think I would be able to find a WT-400 that someone would trade for my SM-400S, or be able to sell the SWR and buy the Eden without taking a big hit. I'd also be worried about the wattage difference, the SWR-SM400S puts out 550 watts@4ohms bridged and 250 watts@4ohms stereo. If you could allay these fears, well, I would seriously consider it.

13. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    As far as volume is conserned, my rig 2 bergantino 112's and a walter woods head that can put out 1200 watts is REALLY LOUD. I dont miss any volume but I do think that there's a physical presence to more speakers that feels diferent.

The berg's are voiced for a little more mids and punch at the expence of big lows I think that helps the apparent volume.The other thing is the head/power is huge part of the equation.The speakers will take 600 watts and turn that into sound so that I have 600 more watts for the amp to breath when those extra transient low power hungry notes get played.someone else can probally explain this better than me. bottom line is that big watts are good for getting big volume out of these 212 set ups. The sensitivity rating is important with this. Im not shure Id recomend the bergs if you dont have the watts I think the Aguilars will produce alot more sound per watt.

" I like warm and fat tone over crystal clear"

This leads me to think youll like the aguilars more any way.They are alot bigger than the bergs.The Foot print they take up is coniderably more. the bergs are tiny!

AJ

14. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Not yet, give me a week. ;) I just bought these after reading many good reviews on TB about them. I should get them in a few days and then I will compare them against the other stuff I have used and post some audio. :D

15. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Here's how I downsized.

About 6 months ago I finally got tired of lugging around my beloved Eden D410XLT. After much searching I settled on the Bag End S15-D and have not looked back since. I play small, medium and large clubs and not once have I missed the 410. It's all the cabinet I need and only 41 lb. BTW- the Eden is now for sale.

16. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Dave-
    I have heard very good things about the S15-D, but I have also heard it can't supply the low end as well as other 15's. I don't think it could reproduce my B to my satisfaction.

17. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Bump.

So many choices, I still don't know what to do...:D

18. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    They just came out with a "lightweight" version of the EA CX112? something like that, where the cab weighs 39 pounds and costs close to $550-600 I think, or if you're on more of a "normal" college student budget, look into getting 2 used or new Ag 112's like my friend Peter McF has for close to the same price as one EA. The disadvantage of 2 112 cabs is cost. AG's are the best value of the "hifish" 112's.

The Bergies sound great too. If you go with Bergie's, I'd suggest getting the second 112 Bergie without the tweeter to save some money and weight. One horn is usually enough highs for most venues.

I'm also not an SWR fan and agree with Peter to consider downsizing the footprint and weight of your head to an Eden or maybe find a used EA iamp 350, 500, or 600. Again, money aside!!

LKaye

19. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    This is my "big rig", but it's still small by bass rig standards. The VL-110s aren't so easy to find used, but if you can find a pair, definitely think about it. I used this setup at a pretty big club the other day (PA for vocals and drums but not for me! :mad: :) ) and it worked well. I had both speakers on one channel of the QSC, for 900w. I haven't tried pushing these speakers with the AI Clarus head, that'd be 200w, I've got a gig Tuesday where I plan on doing that. I'm guessing it'll do just fine (smaller place). Anyway, with a WT-400 or Walkabout it'd probably rock the house. Brad Johnson gigged for quite a while with two VL-110s (now he uses an S15-D and a local-made 1x12).

P.S. Low B sounds excellent. Doesn't have the fundamental that an Acme puts out, but nothing else does anyway. Very tight and still low sounding.

[​IMG]