Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

moving bridge pick up on jazz to another location

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Aug 8, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I think I am going to do some experimenting with my geddy jazz. I am after a deeper tone. What would happen if i took the bridge pickup and moved it above the neck pickup?

Would I get a much deeper tone?

Would it sound like crap?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

tone will be a lot darker. I wouldn't say deeper cause you will loose clarity so it would likely be more muddy than deep. It would also be much louder. More P like than J like.

From what I recall I found the Geddy's to be noticeably shy on bass and a bit bright on top end - maybe a tad thin. Can't recall exactly but you can read the review under Dimento's J pup experiment thread in FAQ of this forum.

The Geddy's are '62 re-issues from what I understand. I found the Marcus Miller Pups to do the trick - which are vintage fenders to my knowledge. Haven't had the Custom Shops but maybe those. Just got a pair of Fender of Noiseless. Just loaded them to make sure they worked and haven't played them to music but solo they're pretty dark, on the thuddy side, not clear, weak top end, more P like than J like and sound nothing like vintage Fender J tone.

I wouldn't even think about routing to relocate a pup. I doubt that would get you what you're looking for. There are a million J pups out there and if you can't get a tone you want from some J set, there really aren't many tones left.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Hey thanks for the info. I wasnt planning on doing on any routing. Maybe just take the p/g off and use double sided tape to see what it sounds like. Probably end up putting it back to what it is now. Just thought it would be interesting.

4. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    There isn't enough room under the strings.

On the fist bass I built I put the neck pickup [a SM J] up there thinking the same thing and what I got was both muddy and twangy. I eventually moved it. So for me a J there wasn't all that great. Now a humbucker, that works great.

A jazz should be able to deliver a deep tone without moving the pickups, both my fives have JJs and I get tons of lows.
    Aston "Family Man" Barrett used a Jazz bass, and I don't think anyone can accuse him of not having a DEEP sound.

So I'd say just try a new neck pickup

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    When you say 'above the neck pickup', I'm assuming you mean directly 'before' or 'after' the neck pickup when looking down the neck from the body.
    The 'bridge' pickup would then overpower the neck pickup. Bridge pickups are wound more than a neck pickup, since there is less string vibration at the bridge. I thought I remembered reading 2-3 times as much, but maybe it's just 20-30%

The GL Jazz can be a bit low end shy by default. If you look in the pickups faq, you'll see a link to a thread where I posted a bunch of clips of different pickups in a Geddy Lee Jazz.

6. Gianni

Gianni

Jul 4, 2001
    Palermo - Italia
    The second you said!!

The jazz PUPS sound good if they have a PROPER DISTANCE between them, otherwise there are phase cancellation in the signal and the overall sound is very bad.

I have added a J PU in the middle between the 2J of a jazz bass like axe.

It plays well alone, but mixed with one of the other 2 gives a bad tone. Probably they could sound better if they were much closer, like in some dual coil humbuckers.

Ciao!
    Gianni

7. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Hmm.. that's intersesting. So what I could do is just swap the pickup positions. Put the beefier bridge pup in the neck spot. That may bring a more appealing sound to my ears. I currently have this bass wired in series so they both give the exact amount of juice. This may allow me to have that deeper series tone, one vol. knob, no hum, and more of a neck pickup sound. Cool.:cool:

8. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    The neck & bridge pickups in a J set are not the same width, you would have to mod both pickup holes.

What do you mean by "bad tone", do you mean out of phase, if so that means you have the P pickup wired in backwards.

9. Gianni

Gianni

Jul 4, 2001
    Palermo - Italia
    The PUPS are in phase, simply they do not match well.
    I am not able to explain well how the tone is, but I noticed that if distance is too much or too low, the sound becomes strange.

I have also a warwick masterman with its original double J and 2 J added.
    The best combination are the 2 of the double J (obvoiusly coils are very close) the bridge of the double with the neck J, the neck of the double and the bridge J.

The bridge J and the bridge of the double, neck J and the neck of the double give a bad tone.

Very close (like humbuckers): good
    Little distance: bad
    Medium distance (like 2 J): good
    Big distance:bad

Obvoiusly with a certain tolerance.

Ciao!
    Gianni