1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Moving Casters

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eekum, Apr 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Eekum

Eekum

Mar 4, 2013
    I wanted to pick everyone's brain really quick on a little problem I am having. I have a GK CX410 and it has casters installed. Well, whoever installed these casters put front ones back a little to far. This wouldn't be an issue but every time you put pressure on the front of the cab it wants to tip forward. This is problematic with me using a front heavy rack. It hasn't tipped over yet but there have been a couple close calls. Since then I have just been putting my rack back farther on it but not it looks like a balancing act lol.

My question is this...

If I wanted to reinstall these casters in a better spot, what would I use to fill the old holes made by the previous install. Wood putty, Silicon? I would prefer to not to just leave the holes.

Any help would be awesome!

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Anything that plugs the hole will work in terms of leaking air.

If the holes are small, use a wood putty. If the holes are larger as if found with pop out casters like the ones below, you can glue in a dowel and sand it flush. An alternative is to use an epoxy. I like using Quikwood, it can be molded and machined.

QuikWood Epoxy Putty Sticks - Polymerics Systems, Inc.

DA1FA6D9-A5FC-4D78-8AE2-0EF170627768.

3. Eekum

Eekum

Mar 4, 2013
    Yes, unfortunately, they are the pop out casters installed so the holes are a bit big. I will try out using the quikwood stuff.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  4. Maybe plumber's epoxy or JB Weld?

5. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Yes they sell similar expoxy putties at hardware stores. It is a gray color as opposed to the lighter brown of the Quikwood. I don’t know if there is a formulation difference. I’ve used both.

6. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I’m wondering if there is a reason why the front casters are set back. You’s have to look inside the cabinet to see of there is some sort of structure in the way in the front. Sometimes it’s simply that the rubber feet are located in the front and the pop out casters are set back.

Of course, a different caster can be used that mounts with just four screws, no big hole to redrill.

7. voided3

voided3 Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2008
    That was my thought, too. They probably did that to clear the back side of the baffle board and the speaker baskets.

For a 4x10, I’d suggest using a hand truck or cart for better maneuverability, especially if you’re stacking other gear on it.

8. Eekum

Eekum

Mar 4, 2013
    I was thinking of getting the kind that use 4 screws.

9. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
  10. Eekum

Eekum

Mar 4, 2013
    Not too worried about them being removable.

11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Why not just carry a couple of lengths of 2x4, sprayed black to make them unobtrusive, and sit the cab on those so that the wheels are off the floor. It’s cheap and effective. :)

12. casterwheels

casterwheels Commercial User

Sep 17, 2018
    Hi I am sure you can find suitable casters wheels from xinchen caster wheels