Moving from Desert to Coast - What is in store for my gear?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ninjalincoln, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Ninjalincoln

Ninjalincoln

Nov 3, 2017
    I'm moving from the Arizona desert to the Southern California coast. I'm concerned with such a huge change with my basses and with my gear. I've lived in a mostly arid environment my whole life.

How serious is rust going to be with ocean air? Will it effect my internal amp components?

Any tips on acclimating my basses to the new humidity levels? I've done some research, but most of my knowledge is for taking coastal instruments into the desert environment.

Thanks you guys, I can't think of a better community to ask.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    How close to the ocean?

3. Ninjalincoln

Ninjalincoln

Nov 3, 2017
    Pretty close, about a 20 minutes drive.

4. I live at the beach. Maybe a neck adjustment, maybe not. Given enough humidity, you could even see frets raising up. Strings will corrode more quickly and every screw on the bass will rust at least some or more than some, assuming you play gigs outdoors and are not always in AC.
    Always, always, wipe the bass down all over with a different towel than you use on yourself. Good, soft cotton. Microfiber seems a good idea but just does not absorb moisture enough to help matters. Beach gigs can get sticky. You may have problems with SS strings getting tacky from a bit of sweathumidity. This is certainly dependent on the location of the gig, but maybe a switch to nickels would help if not eliminate that problem.

I've seen amps in unprotected (not climate controlled) practice rooms get pretty crusty pretty quick, even tube sockets. On the other hand, I keep my house at about 43% humidity (ex-cigar smoker with meters) and I have not had problems like that, but in most clubs, the AC is just not strong enough to keep rust away if you're not careful. Hint, if you sweat, so does your bass.

All said, my biggest problem is my SS strings get tacky by the second set and need a quick wipedown. Not so much with nickels.

saabfender, Stumbo and Ninjalincoln like this.
  5. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    If by Southern California you mean Los Angeles, much of the area here is really a desert climate. Where I am is very very dry.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    You guys luckee!

7. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Eugene
    Moving from AZ to SoCal, the sand will be the same. No measurable impact to bass stuff....have a taco and take that 20 minute drive

Ninjalincoln likes this.
  8. Ninjalincoln

Ninjalincoln

Nov 3, 2017
    I'll be in San Diego area.

9. Ninjalincoln

Ninjalincoln

Nov 3, 2017
    Thanks for your input, I appreciate you walking me back from the ledge.

StyleOverShow likes this.
  10. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Wood is resillient. The humidity will wick in and you‘ll need to tweak it as needed. It’ll settle in. Won’t hurt anything. No worries.

How many instruments from Fender Ensenada are shipped to disparate climates across the globe. How many SoCal built Fenders are sent out. No worries.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018