1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Moving from one finger to two

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by deliciouspesto, Apr 17, 2010.

1. deliciouspesto

deliciouspesto

Jan 18, 2009
    I've been playing finger style comfortably with one finger, I am able to keep the speed up and tone is consistent, but sometimes I run out of steam and the single finger can't keep up with what I want to play.

Any tips or guides or other useful information in trying to make the move?

I'm a fan of practice practice practice but any information to save frustration is always appreciated. Thanks!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    to get two finger technique down, always alternate your two fingers for everything, even if you think raking across strings is easier. don't deviate, don't do anything but alternate. do that for a month of solid 1-hr a day practice and it will become second nature.

3. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    What Jimmy said, don't get comfortable playing with one finger all the time, alternate every note, and concentrate solely on not using just one finger. Eventually, you won't have to concentrate as much, and it will feel more natural. Then, you'll be able to use whichever method is better for whatever part of a song.

4. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    Once you have the 2 finger technique sorted, then try 3 fingers.
    That will give you a galloping tripplet feel, like Iron Maiden stuff.

5. bassandbeyond

bassandbeyond

Aug 28, 2004
    Rockville MD
    Affiliated with Tune Guitar Maniac
    Using one finger only is a hard habit to break, so I recommend isolating the plucking hand to watch it while practicing on open strings only. If you don't keep an eye on it for a while, you're likely to slip back into old habits.

6. deliciouspesto

deliciouspesto

Jan 18, 2009
    That is what I have noticed when I have tried it, in the middle of something I get frustrated and the primary finger takes control. Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll give it a go :)