1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

moving hand during scales

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by xdanxx, Mar 17, 2008.

1. xdanxx

xdanxx

Mar 12, 2008
    Hi guys ive been practicing my major and minor scales and noticed that I dont keep my thumb completely stationy when I have to make some of the bigger leaps in the lower frets, is that improper technique or is it ok if I move my thumb up and down the neck of the bass a little while doing the scales? Thanks guys.

2. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    For the most part your thumb should be on the other side of the neck from your second and third fingers. If you shift from the 3rd fret to the 5th then your thumb should go with you.

When I am moving vertically from string to string my thumb stays in the center of the neck. I don't put much pressure on my thumb at all, it just acts as a guide.

3. arcellus

arcellus

Feb 28, 2004
    Portland, OR
    +1

I think it would be picture-perfect technique if your thumb always moved in sync with the rest of your hand. What I find usually happens though is that your thumb becomes a pivot -point for small shifts, remaining stationary while the rest of your hand shifts up a fret or two.

Remember that there is no such thing as "perfect technique" in the real world. I believe that as long as you're getting the sound that you want in a way that is efficient for you and you're not straining or injuring yourself, you're on the right track.

I read a while back about a bassist (I forget who it was, maybe Jonas Hellborg) who focuses on "economy of motion" in his practice - essentially using as little effort as possible to achieve the desired results. That's something that has stuck with me ever since and I think it's a good code to live by.

4. xdanxx

xdanxx

Mar 12, 2008
    makes sense, thanks alot guys.