Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moving horizontaly along the neck

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Dmitriy_Kudrin, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Hello everyone!

Did anybody try to approach the bass not vertically, using familiar positions, but horizontally, just using two or even one string?
    I started doing it after watching how DB players approach their instruments and after reading some of Jim Hall and Mick Goodrick excerpts. The main point is to get rid of all these positions and boxes we're usualy dependent on. When you found yourself in such 'uncomfortable 'condition you'll notice that your ears really start working. Even simple major arpegio can be a problem. Just try to play some walking line or improvise over familiar changes using only G or В string - very challenging.
    I believe this kind of practice brings a new portion of freedom. How do you think?

Best regards, Dmitriy

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    The band The Presidents of the United States of America may have been thinking like you when they pulled three stings off of a guitar and restrung another guitar with two bass strings to create the 'three string tri-tar' and 'two string bass-tar'.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Didn't they call them the 2 string basitar and the 3-string guitbass?

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Uuuuh... I was working from memory, but actually I think they said they played: 3 string tritar, 2 string guitbass, no string drums. I could be wrong.(again)

I keep catching just bits and peices of reports of what PUSA is up to. I heard they played a show in town (I'm in Seattle) at the Croc (quite some time back) and I thought I heard rumors of a new release(?) ..I know I heard rumor of a show coming up soon. Anybody know what the Presidents are up to? I'd sure love a new PUSA album!

5. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Many bass players have dropped a couple of strings. Tony Levin has a three string bass. Mark from morphine has a 2 srring bass that he played with a slide. Me personally, I've never tried it.

6. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    All I know is that I have tickets to their concert on april 9th, and I'm happy.

7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I'll use it to work my way up to the 12th fret :eek:
    and back down occasionally.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

And how! they are/were the rockingist rock band that ever rocked!

Last I heard they were working with Sir Mix-o-lot in a new project called...Subset.... I think, but that was like 3 years ago, so I don't know what they're upto now.

9. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I just found their web site after I made that post - I found all the information I needed. Like I missed 2 shows last week, :mad: one of which was all ages and my kids would have loved it :bawl: They list a show next week in Olympia which would be a great one for me to hit - but I don't think the show is going to happen - the venue is non-existant (I've been researching all afternoon) which I think is why it still says "ticket info coming soon" with the date a week away...
    So it looks like I'll need to take the family down to Portland for that show, otherwise I have to drive over the hill to Spokane. Ugh, why didn't I know about this a month ago!

10. bassmantele

bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA

I think that the object is to develop the chops to move both vertically and horizontally, so that it doesn't matter which you do. The whole point of position playing to me is that you learn to move fluidly between adjacent positions as freely as you move from string to string. When you don't have to think about fingering, then you can start making music.

11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I did some research after that last post. They're on tour! (and I just missed 'em here ...rat'n smatten sonofagun... I think maybe I'll travel just a bit to catch a show)

WWW.Presidensrock.com

12. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Lets try to keep things on topic here please. :)

13. Sometimes it's just easier to keep yourself on one string, depending on what you're doing (i.e. chromatic progressions). I think a big part of learning your way around the fretboard is recognizing when is the best time to play an open string vs. the 5th fret of the previous string, etc. Still learning this myself :p