Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moving Massive Columns of Air

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    So, I have a Schroeder 410.
    I use this as my "big venue" cab, paired with either an eden wt800b bridged at 1100 watts, or eden Nav with qsc/plx 1602 bridged at 1600 watts.
    With either amp, it's devastating:) I don't even have to turn up either amp much...
    Last night, playing a big room, and with nothing better to do but move a ton of gear, I thought to myself:
    "Hey, why not run the dang 1602 in stereo, and bring the 1210 too. Mega Stack!"

So, I did. I ended up running the QSC 1602's 800 watts per side at 1/2 power, and Navigator input at 5, output at 3. It was not a loud job...I did not have PA support, and sure didn't need it.

I let one of my buds set in, and as we were trading, he said "you weren't playing a 5 string?''
    Nope....
    "man, the lows were so deep and huge I coulda sworn you were.''
    Similar comments on huge thick tone from other musicians in the room, and band mates.

Can there really be a substantial difference in running two cabs at low power, or one cab at higher power? It sounded and felt really dang good. I'll probably never haul all that out again, but it was really nice.

2. Sure it make a difference. More speakers and cabinets to put them in means that low frequencies can be produced much more efficiently. It's the same effect as using one cab at a low volume. When you start cranking just one cab, the lows go away much more than the rest of the sound. Some folks prefer this- it tends to give you a more in-your-face sort of tone.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    so THAT was that disturbance i felt in the force...

i looked southwest, and thought pensively, "yes, there's much freakie bass action over yonder hills." :D

but holy crap, sounded like a fun time, save for your bowels. :p

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine

:laughing:......good one;)