1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Moving mic stands...

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by 4Mal, Mar 29, 2015.

1. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    In my quest to be the most efficient sound guy on the block... Or at least to cut down on redundant trips to the truck. The following work in progress.

40' of 4" id thin wall PVC tubing, 1/2 " ply, eventually some black spray paint and an elcheapo hand truck to bolt it to ...

image. image.

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    image.

Attached Files:

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    So far $60 in pre hand truck materials. Will move 8 tripods with booms and clips plus 4 round base with booms and clips...

4. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    Not bad at all! I've always used a speaker stand bag, but if I had a trailor, this trumps it.

5. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I may go that route the next time, but in the meantime, I bought this one...

MC-770 | Mic Stand case for 20 tripod stands

Of course, I'd need some skills and time, or I might have tried making my own the first time around...

6. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Looks cool but I wonder how heavy it'll be when loaded. Would you have to unload some stands to get it into the truck?

7. GuiTuber

GuiTuber

Feb 19, 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    Given the casters, my guess is, it's expected to be wheeled on and off a truck, via ramp.

I wouldn't use it if I had to pick it up at all. Wouldn't be practical.

8. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I hate round bottomed mic stands. I hate getting my fingers pinched when I try to carry more than two of them and I hate it when the bases bang into my ankles.

A bit OT, I know, but I feel better for having got it off my chest.

As you were.

s0c9 likes this.
  9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Yep. That was the inspiration. The price tag was also inspiring though not in the way the Audiopile folks intended :) Skills wise, really this didn't need to be square. I won't really know if it truly is until it comes out of the clamps. It would be nice if it was but some slight wracking I could live with as the tubes all fit...

It would be awkward and heavy to man handle. 1/3rd sheet of half inch ply is where the weight is unloaded. The tubes are super light. Loaded with stands, even a set of K&M tripods, it won't be light...

Bolted or belted to a hand truck, down and up the ramp.

Indeed... But there are places where the round basses fit better than tripods. Hence my gizmo...

10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I don't have more than about a half dozen, so I usually get a drummer hardware or hockey equipment bag with wheels. Both are pretty strong (although I think they usually are about 36" max), and you just toss them all in there. They wheel nice and easy, and fold flat.

11. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    This makes sense for a truck. For my small time purposes carting only 3 stands I use a mic stand bag

I think it's On Stage brand...

12. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    For me the dilemma with cases of ANY kind - they may make it more convenient, but often add weight/bulk to what you are transporting. Just have to balance the trade-offs for your specific situation.

13. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Wheeled bags are wonderful.

14. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Yeah, until the cast comes off and she's chasing you around the house again.

Short-scale likes this.
  15. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    [rimshot]

Short-scale likes this.
  16. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Heh!

17. I use an SKB Golf Bag case. Has wheels. Nice Handle. Golf-Case-2.

18. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i know more than one pro drummer using golf club cases to carry their hardware and stands and such.

19. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Nice!

20. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Garage sales and tag sales, you can often find them used - maybe a fastener damaged, but a belt fixes that. Again, I prefer soft cases that fold flat when not being used.