1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Moving on as a band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by JoeBbass, Oct 15, 2013.

1. The basic formula for my band's sessions is the keyboard player picks a voice on the keyboard, which determines the style of music (often something laid back and funky), I pick the key and the drummer starts the song then KB player and I drop into the song. Also, because the KB player's dad has a home studio we usually record a practice version and proper version (although these two are often quite different as we're just jamming).
    Everyone in the band loves this setup.
    However whilst we all love jamming, we all see the band going in the direction of performing a setlist of songs at bars and festivals.
    How can we turn these no structure songs into setlists? Do we have to start writing chord changes?

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    It sounds like your band does a lot of jamming. Do you guys ever flesh those jams out into songs?
    I take it that youre not just jamming on a single riff for the duration of the jam and that you all attempt to create some movement in the music from one section to another?
    Start adding some lyrics in, develop some chord or key changes, add dynamics. Turn these jams into structed songs and tighten them up.

My band tends to write songs in the same way. Everything starts out as a jam and we work on developing into a structed song. Sometimes its a quick process, the last song we took from a jam into a fully structed songs in the space of 2 hours. I spent the off days writing lyrics, and 3 days later we're polishing it up and finishing it off.

3. Hmm. Yeah, unless you plan to just jam all the time, you'll need/want songs (breakup the jams and memorize them) - either original or cover songs to make a set with.