Moving out of California

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by crucislancer, Jan 16, 2018.

1. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I've been in northern California for a little over 30 years, usually no more than an hour's drive to San Francisco, and most of the time in Sonoma County. It's beautiful here, no doubt about it, and I've been lucky enough to hold down my current job for 16+ years.

But, I've often thought about moving, particularly to another state, for many reasons, not the least of which is the cost of living here is absurd. 2 years ago I met a woman who became my wife this past November, and she also had the same thought about moving. So, we decided to act on it, and at the end of March we will move to Coeur D'Alene, Idaho. We lucked out on finding a really nice house for an affordable price, all that's left to do now is pack up the house, say our goodbyes, and go.

We really can't wait. This is a big change for both of us, but the prospect of new surroundings and new beginnings was too much to pass up. I'm not sure what I will do for work, most likely something in the shipping field, but I'm not going to push too hard on the job hunt until the move date is closer. And hopefully I can find a band up there, too!

mpdd, woodyng2, nixdad and 17 others like this.
  2. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Nice, I wish you well in the job hunt. Changes like this can be exciting and scary at the same time.
    I know what you mean about the cost of living around here. The price of housing is completely out of control. I know others who have decided to move so they could afford buy a house somewhere.
    I got lucky and bought a house in San Francisco close to thirty years ago. It was tight for my wife and I for a while but we managed. Now, that same house is worth four times as much or more. If I hadn't bought a long time ago I probably couldn't afford to live around here either.
    Let us know about your new life in Idaho. I hear there is great fishing there.

woodyng2, pacojas, kesslari and 2 others like this.
  3. Congratulations on your new chapter in life.

And thank you for not choosing Oregon, we have an overflow of Californians and we need to downsize. :smug:
    StyleOverShow you are a good transplant, you can stay. :thumbsup:

4. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I totally get it...it's so expensive out here. Good luck to you and the Mrs.

crucislancer likes this.
  5. Beautiful country in northern Idaho. Good luck and enjoy. Be ready for winter though.:D

kesslari, crucislancer and MrLenny1 like this.
  6. crucislancer

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Oh yeah, winter will be a trip, for sure. We've only gone up during the summer, which we loved. Gotta get a snow plow LOL

7. The word about the housing shortage in Denver must have reached California. Otherwise, we've been in the Top Three for the California exodus for awhile now.

Farseer likes this.
  8. I have a close friend who lived in a cracker box in the SF Bay area.

Her property taxes alone were almost twice what the mortgage and taxes were on my 3700 square foot house on 2/3 of acre in MD was, and MD taxes suck.

You have to really love where you live to live and spend like that.

9. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    So that's why the traffic hasn't been so bad...

StyleOverShow, kesslari and slobake like this.
  10. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    Good luck! Me and my wife are making a big move later this year (Georgia to Montreal, Canada), and after much discussion, we figured out that we could either keep talking about it forever, or just go for it.

Nephilymbass, TomB, kesslari and 5 others like this.
  11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Congrats! Here's tones beginnings! Watch out for them taters!!!

Now I just gotta convince @slobake and Mrs...... Bake? ..... to move out to Eastern NC when he retires. Cost of living is a third or less and they could live like royalty out here. :D

pjbassist, slobake and crucislancer like this.
  12. crucislancer

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I read recently that Idaho, Nevada, and Oregon we're the top three states that people are moving to.

I think our prop taxes in Idaho are less than a third of what people in California pay.

Our mortgage is just under half of what we pay for rent right now.

Some of the many reasons for moving.

woodyng2 and slobake like this.
  13. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The only probably with California is everyone wants to live here.

14. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    I bailed out of SoCal in 1990 after being born & raised there. Have never regretted it. Occasionally I miss the diversity and the sheer magnitude of pleasures it offers but overall I’m glad I left.

“It would be a great place to live if 2/3rds of the people there would leave.” Doesn’t need to be any particular 2/3rds, random exit is fine.

woodyng2, kesslari and 5thsand4ths like this.
  15. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i love living in southern california, but a 900 square foot condo in the complex we live is now worth more than double what my relatives just paid for a house with a yard in a large city in georgia, and property taxes are that high by comparison, too. the house i grew up in sold for $1,600,000 in a normal middle-class part of west l.a. living here is beyond expensive.

on the other hand, my son and daughter live here, as do all my friends and family, and my husband has a job here that gives him 6 weeks paid vacation and two weeks paid sick pay per year, and it rolls over, too.

StyleOverShow, pacojas and kesslari like this.
  16. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The changes to SALT deductions may drive some more people out of CA.

17. That sounds right. Like I said, Denver has a severe housing shortage, so it's no surprise we're not in the top 3 any longer. It took something that major to slow the influx.

A few years ago, there was one Cali license plate for every three Colorado plates on the road, that many Californians had just moved here.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    bolophonic likes this.
  18. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    I wish you both all the best!

I lived in the Bay Area for 10 years, so I know how beautiful it is there. And expensive. After I left, life took me to Greece, and now back to my hometown in Queens, NY.
    I will be moving again, as I don't like it here. I often think about moving back to the Bay, but it's ridiculously expensive now. So, I've set my sights on NM.

Enjoy your new lived and surroundings!

tzohn and kesslari like this.
  19. crucislancer

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Last month I had to pay 207 bucks for my annual car registration, plus another 50 bucks to smog test it. We pay nearly 9.5% sales tax. Gas is 3 bucks per gallon. Our rent on a 3 bedroom townhouse is $2600/month. I will miss some things but there's way too much that I won't miss.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2018
    woodyng2 and IrishRifles like this.
  20. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    I lived in San Francisco for 2 years, back in the 90’s before the dot-com thing blew up the real estate market. There were a lot of great things about living there, but I experienced something weird: I was never not around people, but I often felt alone.

kartiste, Larissa238, pacojas and 3 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021