Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moving over to the dark side

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by The_Bass, Sep 1, 2003.

1. hey guys!

this wednesday I will start learning on a DB, and I can't wait.

but is there something I should be aware of as a converter from a toybass? any "beginners tips" you can give me?

and what kind of stickers should I put on it? :p

2. SleeperMan2000

SleeperMan2000

Jul 31, 2002
    Cary NC
    Don't try and play a DB like an EB or you may get injured. Happened to me. Teacher fixed me up real quick. Bad setup also contributed. Luthier fixed me up real quick. Too bad I spent 6 months wasting time and hurting my left hand.

3. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    The best advice I can give would be to apply the 2 R's.

Read
    Research

These guys have given answers to questions I havent even come up with. I just keep my mouth shut and listen. There is a wealth of knowlege here, take it in pieces. Dont try to get it all at once.

Good luck.

Mike

4. TB

"and what kind of stickers should I put on it?"

That kind of info will best be found here:
    http://www.rockabillybass.com/ :D

Welcome to the Forum

Keith

5. ooh! nice! :)

thanks guys, I'll try to listen to my teacher about right hand positioning. I'll go meet him in just over an hour.

6. My teacher went over the basics of how to play it, and I played some songs(bluegrass!). I really enjoyed it! :D

I'll go back to the school tomorrow and get a key so I can go over there and practice. (I couldn't even fit a DB in my apartment, it would hit the ceiling)

well, off to read some more threads over here on this side of talkbass.

7. Quote:
    "I couldn't even fit a DB in my apartment, it would hit the ceiling"

Is that because when You get closer to the top of the world, the aprtments get lower and lower?
    In case like that, consider moving south...You´ll fall in love with the beast eventually, and can´t live without it.

R2

PS. I remember when I didn´t have a proper place to practice. I used to haul my bass down to a basement closet. It was used as a toilet before, but it was so narrow that You´d have to s*** in a shotgun barrel and shoot the load out of the
    window...well, the acoustics were quite nice.

:D

8. You havn't lost your touch R2,May your Balls Fester but never Burst!
    :D
    With regard to The_ Bass... as R2 says you'll fall in Love with the monster given time..... and if you don't... just think of it as stored fire wood for next winter up their in Iceland!:p