Moving Pictures tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by factorplayer, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Hardly original, I know, but that's what I'm after for the moment.

basically j-bass and tube overdrive or what?

I recently rebooted my whole setup and right now I'm rolling with just a Kubicki and a Nemesis 210 combo... thinking of going with the TC RH450 and a cab for the tone-shaping and tube sounds.

2. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    no input on the gear (i will leave that to the others), but this audio file might be interesting to you:

http://www.mediafire.com/?2jdimjbumae

it is .ogg BTW, so you will need an appropriate player (most but not all)

3. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm certainly not an expert, but I'm thinking that was still the Rickenbacker era. I'm thinking of the tone in the bass break in "YYZ" - that is a cool tone.

I AM looking forward to all the useless "it's all in the hands" replies, though.

KO

4. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Geddy used a Jazz and Rick on the Moving Pictures album.

2 examples

Tom Sawyer: one of the examples of the Jazz, more rounder bottom end.

YYZ: obviously the Ricky with OD, it had a Ratty sound that that Jazz couldn't get.

Geddy had talked about the Jazz being alot more on the bottom end than the Ric.
    Perhaps that's why it's his preference now.

5. I can get a similar tone with my MIA J bass and Ampeg BA115, just missing the "dirt". I always have believed and still do believe that the J Bass was used on all the MP tracks with the exception of Red Barchetta and The Camera Eye, and maybe Limelight. Many would disagree with my comments, but that's just my $0.02 as they say.

6. back in the day... I got a close tone with a tube screamer dialed in to very light OD. My rig had a 4x12 and 1x18 cab and an onboard compressor.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike TTRPG enthusiast, Happy, Joyous, & Free. Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    almost all of MP is a jazz.

a huge part of the tone was the engineering done by paul northfield which included splitting the signal with an active crossover and compressing the signals seperately then remixing them on the board.

forgetting all that, dig in hard. a good amount of mids in the tone helps a lot, as does a unit that will give you just a hint of distortion. I hate to say it, but an old svt or v4 head might be just the ticket but i'm not gonna schlep one around.

oh yeah....practice a LOT.

8. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    We play Tom Sawyer in my classic-rock band.
    I can nail that tone with my Jazz and TC Electronic RH450.
    I just add a little of the "TUBTONE" knob & some "Sectracomp"
    Scary similar.

9. Judging from this:

Which is the soloed bass track from YYZ (some genius ripped it from Guitar Hero or something, and it's been 100% AUTHENTICAMACATED GENUINE to be Geddy), and the bulk of the track is a Jazz with a heavily-favored neck pickup, except for the bass breaks (about 1:50 in) that are a distorted Rick.

Not sure of the amp...probably a B-15 cranked.

I just really like these isolated tracks. Badass.

10. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    The RH450 has a lot of different tones on tap and should get you into the ballpark of Geddy's tone.

11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing

YYZ was the jazz. Red Barchetta and Limelight were the Ric.

12. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    +1

13. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'm still going with the practice a lot motif

the solo yyz track was the bomb though.

how much money could artists and record companies make now in these (cough) hard times for them by selling solo tracks of individual instruments from popular songs???

i can figure out just about any line by listening to the song but in some wall of sound or crappy productions, something like that would make my life easier.

and heck, why not make the entire song minus your instrument available for you to play along to? I always enjoy doing that with live at leeds but few albums are panned hard like that.

14. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    If you want to hear most of the MP songs played on a Ric and without too much studio production, just listen to Exit..Stage Left. I don't know what his live rig was back then (not chicken roasters!:smug:), but it sounds pretty good with his Ric.

It would probably be much easier for the average Joe to achieve his live tone than his studio tone.

Please keep in mind too that Geddy's tone is setup to work well in the context of the whole band and may not sound so great on its own.

15. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    OK, now i want to know where i can download the audio of the mp tracks on you tube.

16. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    All Geddy had to do was solder a wire across the .0047 cap that is inline with the bridge pickup and he would have found the 4001 to have more bottom end than the Jazz Bass, speaking from experience here. ;)

17. It's not the bass, it's the player and secondly the amp settings. Geddy could make some cheap Ebay POS sound good. :D

18. OH THANK GOD!!!! Not being a huge Rush follower-but big Geddy appreciator- & being an Aussie- I thought U were after the tone of an (IMO) AWFUL Aus band of yesteryear-called 'MOVING PICTURES' NOW THAT would've been tragic!! ;-)

19. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    i linked one of them...

20. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    download the "mp4" version from youtube. Use VLC to extract the audio and save as "wave" or "mp3".
    Use transcribe figure out whatever is going out on the track.

But I'm challenged, others might not need all that technological assistance :cool:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021