1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Moving Rear Strap Button on a 55-02

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phillm47, Oct 7, 2009.

1. I am strongly considering moving the rear strap button on my Lakland 55-02. The reason being I wish for the bass to hang more upright on my body - easier for me to play the entire range of the instrument, easier to implement floating thumb..etc. FWIW, I use Schaller Strap Locks with this bass.

I really like what I see in this VIDEO. I'm not sure I'm ready to put the strap pin on the front of the bass, although I am very intrigued by this. Maybe moving the rear pin to position similar to the position shown in here:

spector_02.

Has anyone done this with their Lakland 55-01/55-02/55-94? If so, how did it work out for you? Thoughts?

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The first thing I've done is substitute lighter tuners, which has really helped improve balance when the OEM tuners are heavy.

I've repositioned the lower strap button on several basses and, while it does help some, I find imbalance is also due to the upper horn being too short for some light-bodied basses or for a more upright positioning without diving. Notice how long the upper horn is on Bunny's bass. I've extended the horn on a couple of instruments and that also helps, though I don't usually wear the instrument that upright. I just like it to stay where I put it.

I hadn't thought of putting the strap button on the front, I may try that.

3. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    I'm curious to hear from people who have done this. I might do it to my Warwick Corvette after I possibly install some lightweight tuners if that doesn't improve the neck dive.