Moving "The Nightwatch" or my double bass: same thing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by BassGuyNL, Dec 28, 2003.

1. BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    I was just watching the Dutch TV news, which featured the moving of Rembrandt's most famous painting "De Nachtwacht" ("The Nightwatch") to another museum":
    - it was loaded in a specially made case with very tight temperature and humidity control
    - the case had to be sponsored by Philips electronics, since it housed some very expensive equipment for environmental control
    - the case was rolled on wheels across the street, while lots of police kept the audience away
    - "The Nightwatch" is not insurable, since no institution could cough up the money to do this

I just couldn't help but notice the similarities between moving "The Nightwatch" and the ideal way of moving the double bass...
  2. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I just came back from Amsterdam, saw the painting in the Rijksmuseum on friday. Where are they moving it, and why?
  3. BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    The actual moving took place a couple of weeks ago, but at the end of the year, the news shows are airing their annual reviews of 2003.

The reason it was moved was because they had to paint the room or something. This was the first time the painting had been moved since the end of WW II (another parallel with moving the DB: if I could, I would just leave it in its own nice little corner for 50 years).